How Will I Know

I stood there by the tour bus, alone. I told Ginge to go back to the car because I didn't want her to get cold. I wasn't cold because I grew up in worse weather than this, whereas Ginge was always going to Florida over break because she hates the cold. Winter was also my favorite season, so I guess I didn't mind the cold.

"Can I help you?" I turned to see the woman who was talking to me. I spun on my heels a little too quickly and nearly fell over.

"Whoa, watch out there!" came another voice, this time a man's. I felt a hand grab my shirt, pull me forward, and stand me up straight.

"Thanks, Ryan. I guess I just lost my balance."

"No problem." He smiled.

"Hi, Esther! I'm actually waiting for Avi. I met him backstage and he told me to wait out here. Am I in your way or something?" Quit rambling! I shut my mouth and smiled at Avi's sister. She actually looked nothing like Avi, but I'm glad they were so close.

"No, you're good. I wonder why he said that." She whipped out her phone to text him.

"Beats me. All he said was that he wanted to tell me something." I replied, answering a text from Ginge. No, not yet. I'm still waiting for Avi.

"Well, it's kinda cold out here. Would you like to wait on the tour bus?" Ryan asked. I nodded and he led me up the steps that would take me to the entire life of Pentatonix.

"Well, Avi says he has a surprise for you. Whatever that means. I'll tell him we'll be waiting for him on the bus." Esther told me, stepping out of the way to let me on the bus.

"Sounds good. Thanks!"

I waved to Jenevieve, who returned the gesture with a puzzled look. Esther explained what was going on. She nodded and returned to her book. I looked around to find that I was in the front lounge.

"So where should I wait?" I asked, not realizing that Esther and Ryan had already taken a seat on the dark leather couch, their eyes glued to their phones. I felt embarrassed and sat down on the couch across from them and pulled out my own phone.

"So, did you enjoy the concert?" Esther asked after about five minutes of awkward silence. I looked up to see that she was offering me a bottle of water. I gladly accepted it and tucked mine into my jacket, not wanting to be rude.

"Yes, I did. Thanks for asking!" I answered, sliding my phone into my pocket.

"What was your favorite part?" That's such a clichéd thing to ask. Of course, I would never say that out loud, especially not to Esther. Ryan, however, was not as courteous.

"Why would you ask him something like that? Maybe he doesn't have a favorite part." Ryan didn't even look up from his phone, but I could see the cocky smile forming on his face. Rolling her eyes, but with a smile on her face, Esther turned around and punched him in the arm.

"Just ignore him. So, you were saying?" Esther continued, addressing me again. She sat beside me this time, to my left, tucking her right leg beneath her left and turning her body to face me better.

"I guess my favorite part was right before 'Aha!' when Avi asked for his note and Mitch walked back to the piano keys and pressed the D#. But my favorite song was, is, and always will be 'Say Something'." I loved talking about this with Esther. Why is every girl associated with Pentatonix so beautiful? I could feel my cheeks getting pinker as I thought this. I could tell Esther was about to say something about it, but she was interrupted by a noise from outside the bus.

We could hear the conversations from Pentatonix as they rushed out the doors. Esther and I turned around to look out the window and laughed at what we saw.