The Only Faith {8}

The Blues checked into our room about a half hour after we got back. Fagan had fallen asleep, but I was still awake, pretending to be asleep despite how energized I felt.

                I was tired now, exhaustion kept at bay only by the fighting spirit dragged out of me last night. I checked myself in the mirror, running my hand along the maroon vest.

                I was a Maroon. I was a fighter. I wasn't going to sit back and hope someone else fixed the problem.

                Grabbing my bag, I turned to Fagan. I knew things would change now. I'd get dragged into their scheming, I'd lie to Leon, I'd keep myself in the shadows so I wasn't suspected.

                I'd have to talk to Beckett during lunch today and make sure he knew I couldn't get caught. While I was positive none of them wanted to get caught, I was also pretty sure none of them were in the precarious situation that I was.

                Still, I'd have to choose my words carefully. My past was my past, and it was none of their business what got me sent here. All they needed to know was that I was in a sticky situation.

                I left the room, figuring that Fagan would just be late like always. But he followed me out of the room, falling into step beside me.

                "We're not friends," I said, raising an eyebrow.

                "Oh, you're so moody!" he said, laughing.

                "Won't it be obvious if we start hanging out all the time?" I said.

                Fagan grinned. "Probably. They already know I'm caught up in all of this."

                "Well they don't know I am," I said, picking up my pace and leaving him behind.

                Fagan was the only one of the group that made me nervous. Something about his careless behavior told me he didn't worry about getting caught. The other two were more careful, but Fagan seemed to be in it more for entertainment than purpose.

                I reached the classroom and took my seat. Beckett came in with Tessa at his side, but they were in a conversation with each other and paid me no mind.

                Class started and Mr. Sternberg came in, glaring at Fagan's empty seat. His eyes fell to me.

                "Brennan," he said, spitting out my name like it tasted disgusting. "Where is your roommate?"

                "I don't know. I'm not his owner," I said. "He's a big boy. He can get himself to class on time or get the shit beat out of him with a paddle. That's not my problem."

                "Watch your mouth!" he snapped.

                "He can get the sugar beat out of him with a paddle," I corrected.

                "Sugar implies I'm sweet," Fagan said, entering the room. "What a sweet compliment, Brennan." He blew me a kiss.

                Mr. Sternberg grabbed the back of Fagan's neck and shoved his head down. "How many punishments do you need before you learn your lesson? If you're late one more time, I'm sending you to Headmaster Constance. He'll fix you."

                Beckett tensed up and Tessa shot Fagan a warning look. Mr. Sternberg shoved Fagan forward and he made his way to his seat, dropping into it casually. But there was a tense set to his shoulders.