Chapter 8

It's been three days since Justin last came to school, nobody has seen him, he's not responding to Jessica's texts or calls and he's got us worried. "I just don't understand why would he disappear like this" I said to Zach as we were walking on the halls of Liberty "Yeah" he said nervously "Zach, do you know where he is?" I stopped, standing in front of him and looking up at him. He avoided my gaze and I knew he's hiding something "Zach" I said again, putting a hand on his shoulder " He's at Bryce's" he gave in and I let out a gasp "I have to go tell Jess" I said but he stopped me "No, Justin doesn't want anyone to know he's there" Zach explained "Jessica is his girlfriend, this is stupid" I said and he sighed "Let it go, alright?" he asked and I nodded even though I'm not happy about it "Did he talk to you guys?" I asked
"He just said he doesn't want to deal with the world right now" Zach said "I'm going over to Bryce's later" I said "What? No, you're not" Zach said "Why not? I want to talk to Justin" I said "We already tried, what makes you think he will talk to you if he doesn't even talk to us?" Zach asked "I have a different approach, but you guys wouldn't know about that, would you?" I said, a little annoyed now "Whatever, knock yourself out" he said and walked away. "What was that all about?" Jeff said as he came up to me "Ugh, just somethings stupid. Anyway, let's get going to the library" I smiled and started walking alongside Jeff "I'm really proud of my project, can't wait for you to see it" he smiled "That's great" I said. When we settled down in the library I opened my laptop and Jeff gave me the usb stick with his PowerPoint project on it. I was surprised, the project had a great content and included everything that it needed from pictures to charts and tables. "So? Will it get me a C?" he asked "And the student has become the master" I smiled "Really?" his eyes went wide and a huge smile spread across his face "Congratulations Atkins, I'd say this project is a solid A" I smiled "Oh my God, I can't believe this" he smiled, running his hands through his hair "Who did you pay to make you this project?" I asked, rising an eyebrow at him "What? Nobody, I did it myself" he said "So the 'suck balls Atkins' at the end, you did that on purpose?" I asked "That little dick" Jeff said, letting out a sigh and closing his eyes in frustration "Jeff, you have to start making homework yourself" I said "I am, I mean I did, I did this project myself, I just showed it to Monty at lunch and I bet he did that" he explained with pure honesty written on his face "Alright, I believe you" I said. We continued with some math until I was called for a honor board meeting asap. When I stepped in, I saw Alex and Montgomery sitting each on a chair. I noticed Alex's face being beat up and bloody. "Alright so what happened?" I asked as I sat down between Marcus and Sheri. "This fucking psycho went crazy on me for no reason, started yelling and shoving me" Montgomery said "He almost hit me, I was just walking when he almost hit me with his fucking car, I mean, there were others too and clearly he's the one who lost his shit" Alex said simultaneously "Okay so this case is pretty clear, Montgomery you were behind the wheel, pedestrian has the right of way" Marcus said "You were reckless driving" Courtney added "Bullshit" Monty said "Language, Montgomery" Mr. Porter said "We're trying to protect our students, that's what the honor board is for Montgomery. I'm sorry but this one is on you, you can blame the law" I said and " Fuck the honor board, it's not like any of your is oh so honorable" Alex said " Watch your language, Alex" Mr. Porter warned again "Alright, so this happened off school property, do you want the police involved?" Mr. Porter asked "No need, it was nobody's fault and no crime happened" Courtney quickly said "So anyone get's away with anything here?" Alex asked. This is about something else now, not the feud between him and Monty. " Want us to deal with it seriously? Fine, three day suspension, both of you" I said, getting angry with where the discussion was heading "Great. I get the blame for him loosing his shit like a crazy person" Monty said "You were the one driving!" Courtney said "Fine! I get it, alright?" Montgomery said "You can leave now" Marcus said and they both got up, leaving the room. "Roxanne, can you get some refferal forms completed and sent out to their parents?" Mr. Porter asked me and I nodded. "Alright, are we done here?" Courtney asked "Yes, you are done" I said and she left. I watched Clay leave too, without a word. "Poor Alex, he looks very bad" Sheri said as she gave me the paper with all the honor board members' signature "Yeah" I said "Oh, can I ask you for a ride home? Missed the buss and mom is working late today" Sheri asked "Sure, just have to get the forms done first" I said "Alright, I'll go get a book from the library for my History, call me when you're done and we'll meet up in the parking lot" she said and I nodded. I walked into the school's office and completed the two refferal forms, one on the name of Alex Standall grade eleven and the other for Montgomery de la Cruz grade twelve.
After driving Sheri home, I called Jeff. "Hello?" he answered "Hey Jeff, are you still at the school?" I asked "Just got out of the library, but how did you know I was still at school?" he asked "Sheri told me she saw you in the library, she said you were 'busy with math' " I said "Yeah, decided to stay and finish what you gave me" he said "I'm heading to Monte's to grab something to eat, how does that sound" I said "You just read my mind, I'll be there in 10" he said "Great, see you" I said and ended the call. We got some sandwiches and Cola while we talked. His match is tomorrow, and apparently is really important. I promised him I'll be there.

I got home after 6pm and spent some time with mom. I almost let go of the idea of going to Bryce's but when I checked my phone and saw no texts or calls from Zach, I got in my car and drove to Bryce's. He opened the door for me and his expression showed surprise and confusion. "Roxy? What are your doing here?" he asked "Quit playing, I know Justin is here, I came to talk to him" I said and made my way into the house. "Alright, he's in the pool house, the guys are playing video games" he said. I walked out in the backyard and saw the gang of jocks. I walked into the small house and the smell of weed hit me instantly. Everybody was drinking, smoking, listening to music and either playing video games or talking. "Rox?" Alex asked as he saw me " Hey Roxy! Come on, join the fun" Justin laughed "The hell, Foley?" I said, taking the class bong out of his hand "Roxanne, don't" Zach said but I ignored him "So this is what you're doing, Justin? While Jessica is worried sick because you went incognito mode and decided to not answer your phone, you're on cloud 9?" I asked but he just rolled his eyes "Relax, tell Jess not to worry. Or don't, I don't care" he laughed "We're just having fun Roxy, loosen up" Monty said "You better get your shit together Justin, I'm serious. Nobody needs this right now, other shit is more important, you know that very well" I said, putting the bong down and heading out "Wait!" I heard Zach yell after me, his footsteps quick after mine "Babe, hold on!" Zach said, grabbing my arm before I could get into my car. I turned around and looked at him. His face softened and he let out a sigh. "I'm sorry for today at school. I just know Justin better than you do, he has got problems at home too, that stupid guy Seth is back and his mom is a wreck, and now this Hannah thing blew up and he just needed a couple days. We wanted yo be there for him" Zach said "By getting him drunk and high and hiding from the world?" I asked "Whatever works for him, he's a guy" he said, holding both of my hands gently now "It's just not fair towards Jessica,and it's not the right thing to do, he looks horrible. He is missing school and basketball training, if he keeps going like this, it's goodbye scholarship" I said "I know, but he'll be fine in a couple days, we won't let him slip away" Zach said and hugged me, kissing my forehead "I didn't want you to get involved because I knew you would want to do something, but you just have to let him be right now" he said and I nodded "Want me to go home with you?" Zach asked "Did you drink?" I asked "Only one beer, me and my car will be fine" he said "Then yes, please" I said. After he said goodbye to the boys, we left and went back to mine. He spent the night and we talked and had some intimate time including cuddles and kissing.