Part Three: Almost the Perfect Moment

Leaving Luke, hopefully to rot, down in the basement we went upstairs to the kitchen where we found Sarah and a man cooking something that smelled delicious.

"Hello boys." The man said when he heard us coming into the kitchen. "You not playing tonight?"

"We can't. Luke's passed out in a chair, again, he's completely off his face." Liam said with a slight shake of his head.

"I do worry about that boy." He replied, I'd gathered by now that this was Liam and Jake's Dad. He finally looked up from chopping vegetables. "Hello, you are?" He asked me.

"I'm Melody." I said with a genuine smile, he seemed like a nice guy.

"Melody is our lead singer." Liam said in a way of explanation.

"Ah, you finally found one." He smiled before going back to chopping vegetables. A second later he glanced up again. "Before I forget, someone's phone keeps ringing."

"Oh." I walked over to where I'd left my bag and pulled my phone out. Seven missed calls. All from my mother. My life expectancy was shrinking rapidly. I quickly sent her a text saying I was staying at Kaitlyn's tonight. I'd just turn up at her house later, she wouldn't mind. I shove my phone back in my bag and turn back towards the others. "I really should get going." I said as Luke came into the kitchen, massaging his forehead.

"It's alright, stay for dinner." Sarah said with a pleasant smile. She was behaving completely different to how she had before Liam and Jake's Dad got home. I suppose they were right about him divorcing the ones who were mean to his kids.

"Okay." I said uncertainly.

"Well, now that Sleeping Beauty has woken up we can go practise." Liam says, jumping out his chair.

"You can wait until after dinner now." His father says. "As it is very nearly done." He reaches up and grabs six plates out of the cupboard.

Dinner was great. It turns out that Jerry, Liam and Jake's father, owns a small chain of restaurants; one in London, one in Glasgow and one in Belfast. So he is a very good chef. He doesn't cook at his restaurants anymore, he has people to do it for him, he focuses on expanding his business.

Once we'd finished Liam, Jake, Luke and I headed back down to the basement armed with beer and crisps. The guys had written several songs themselves but none of them had lyrics. We thought we'd take a shot at writing some lyrics for one of the songs. I've written songs before but none of the guys had. I took some of my lyrics and mixed them up a little bit so they fitted with the music. Liam got his mothers acoustic guitar down and we played and sang all night.

I woke up with a stiff neck in the pitch black. I could see Liam, Jake and Luke's outlines through the darkness. At some point someone had draped a throw across me to keep me warm. I stood up and immediately felt dizzy. How much beer had I drunk last night? I collapsed back onto the bean bag and heard laughter coming from one of the boys. I stared into the darkness to try and locate the source of the laughter. Liam. He was sat in a bean bag, a hand over his mouth, trying to stifle his laughter.

"Shut up." I said, gently kicking the bean bag he was lying on. It was his turn to lose his balance, he toppled right off the bean bag and onto the floor. It was my turn to laugh.

"Screw you." He whispered, standing up and straightening his clothes. But I didn't stop laughing. He advanced on me, hge knelt down and tickled me until I squealed. He finally stopped when I accidentally kicked him.

Suddenly his face was just above mine. I could feel his breath on my face, even though it was morning, it still smelt minty fresh. There was a small smile curled on his lips.