11 | Decision Reconsidered

Music: When Ginny Kissed Harry, Nicholas Hooper (Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince)

                        "Mr Malfoy, how kind of you to join us on this special day."

From above her small glasses, the stern eyes of Headmistress McGonagall looked at her guest as Draco respectfully inclined his head. The Malfoy heir had just arrived for lunch at Hogwarts, looking a bit uncomfortable as he stood in her office, sunlight streaming down on him from the leaded window behind the Headmistress' desk.

A furtive smile stole over her wrinkled features. She was pleased with what she saw. The troubled young boy had grown up to become a thoughtful man. Although he had yet to fully accept his role in the post-war wizarding society, Professor McGonagall knew he would eventually come to lead the way for those who had supported the Dark Lord and were willing to change. His eighth year at Hogwarts had sown the seeds for the firm and honest character he would need for that task, and she was grateful to see how beautifully it all had come into fruition over the past seven years. Draco Malfoy had become a righteous person. Just like she hoped he would.

"I really am very pleased you were able to take time out of your schedule on this last day of the year. Mr Selwyn will be pleasantly surprised to meet with you again before he leaves Hogwarts this summer. He keeps asking about you."

A grimace flashed over Draco's features as he nodded, and Professor McGonagall knew he blamed himself for not having agreed to visit earlier. He had been avoiding meeting with Andreas as if he'd been afraid to confront that dark part of his past again. But over the past few weeks, something had happened that had elicited a change of heart with the younger Mr Malfoy. She had a slight inkling as to what precisely. The quiet sadness she sensed with him had something to do with it.

"Thank you for granting me the opportunity, Professor. I very much appreciated you keeping me informed about his progress over the years."

The Professor sent her former student an indulgent smile. "Well then, I think it's time we go down to the Great Hall for lunch and meet with Mr Selwyn."

As was tradition during the holidays, the House Tables in the Great Hall had been replaced by one table, long enough to provide room for the two Ravenclaws, two Gryffindors, a Hufflepuff, and a Slytherin who'd stayed behind over the holidays. For Draco, it was a strange experience to sit at the raised Head Table and have a panoramic view of the festively decorated Great Hall.

"I must say, Professor McGonagall, this view alone makes applying for a teaching position at Hogwarts worth considering," Draco said courteously when they took their seats. The Headmistress gave him an amused smile, but then his eyes were drawn toward the older student who had remained standing at the House Table below. The student looked at him with a tense expression on his features.

"Mr Malfoy. Do you remember me?"

A silence suddenly descended on the Great Hall as all gazes were fixed on the seventh year boldly addressing the unexpected guest. Draco slowly got up again. The student had grown much over the years and his hair was neatly combed now, but Draco immediately recognized him.

Hope and fear of disappointment alternated behind the boy's dark eyes until Draco gave a curt nod. "Of course, Andreas Selwyn."

He turned toward the Headmistress. "Professor McGonagall, by your leave, I would like to have lunch at the students' table. I believe I have some catching up to do."

And stared at in marvel by the younger students, the blond former Slytherin sat down beside the boy he had once reluctantly but determinedly shown the right path in life.