Ol' Sorcerer Seto

Seto didn't say a word as he watched Jerome approach the city gates with his 'team' of people. The ambassador looked defiantly at the general until Seto turned his back to tend to his horse.

Of course he would do this, he thought bitterly. Of all of the people he could have chosen, he picked them.

To be fair, he reasoned, he had already known Jerome would pick Mitch to accompany them. It was logical of him to select a group of people who were already familiar - powerful people, at that. But the unity of not just four people but the entire party was at stake, and serious conflict like what Seto and Sky had experienced so recently was a danger to them all.

Still, though, he said nothing. There was a tense, awkward silence as the new arrivals joined his own selected people in loading their supplies into the saddlebags of the prepared horses. He could feel Jerome still looking at him, urging Seto to say something. He remained silent, refusing to even look back at him.

Instead, he approached Brice, who was standing directly below the city gates, there only to say farewell. A selfish part of Seto wished that he could go with them, but not only was this a learning experience for his apprentice but it was also a way to keep him safe.

Brice gazed at him with something resembling sorrow. "Promise me that you'll be okay."

"I can't do that," Seto murmured. "I'm sorry. But I'll try to stay alive - you know that. And I know you can do this, too. You'll have people to help you."

"I'm not ready to lead a city," Brice argued. "Even with help. I'm not good at this like you are."

Seto reached out and took Brice's hands in his. "Neither was I. It's not easy, Brice, I'll tell you that. But I have complete faith that you can do this."

Brice gazed at him for a long moment, then threw his arms around him. Seto smiled sadly into his shoulder, hugging him tightly. There was something else that he yearned to say, but now was not the time - especially if he were to die on this mission.

-

The horse ride to the beach was not very long, since the island was only so big. Sky wondered if he could have flown there, though, with his newfound power. His amulet was in place, however. And it would remain that way until they were at a place safe enough for him to remove it.

He glanced at Deadlox as they each led their horses onto the large, flat boat meant for transporting animals. "Hey," he hissed. "Do you know who that guy that Seto brought is?"

Deadlox raised his eyebrows at him. "Seto chose three."

Sky rolled his eyes. "I mean the one we don't know. We both know Dan, and you remember Ant, right?" He wasn't surprised that the general had chosen Dan for this expedition, since he heard him speak so highly of the man when they first met despite his having no powers. He was a little surprised at Ant being chosen, though, but then again he had only met the man once.

"Yes, I remember." Deadlox looked over at the man that Sky was pointing out. "But I don't know who he is."

The man in question was clad in simple, dark grey clothing with black boots and a matching cloak that cast shadows on his face like a mask. From where he was, Sky could see that his eyes were colorless, too, but they didn't glow like his own. He was currently helping Ant calm the his horse enough to lead it onto the boat.

"You can ask Jerome," Deadlox suggested. Sky frowned at him.

"Or I could just ask him," he replied. "No problem with making new friends."

"He's on Seto's side, Sky," Deadlox said irritably. "He's not going to want to be friends with you."

Sky immediately felt himself withdraw from the conversation, a defensive reaction to Deadlox's hurtful bluntness. "Yeah, I guess you're right," he muttered, brushing past Deadlox to lead his horse onto the boat.