5.) Mam

Chapter Five

They pulled up to the entrance of Tellem Housing, Niaomi clutching the satchel that sat on her lap so that she could feel the edge of the knife through the black fabric. The impromptu study session had worked out better than she had expected; her bag had been laying on one of the round oaken tables along with the books. She’d picked it up, reaching inside to clasp the handle of the knife, and instantly felt able to cope with Nicholas.

After they’d organized the stack of books and hastily scrawled notes into two piles, one for Bridget and one for Lenny, they had had to plan out the science projects they were going to do. Going for simplicity to make them more authentic, Niaomi had chosen to do a diorama for Bridget while he had decided on a scrapbook. They’d checked out the necessary books on their topics and taken some notes before Sammy arrived to tell them it was already seven. Once again, she’d lost track of time.

Now, they were home, and her brother had already hopped out of the car with a quick thank you to Nicholas. She gathered the pile of books at her feet as he asked, “Are you sure you don’t want me to drive you guys to your house? It’d be no trouble.”

The arm reaching for the handle paused as the memories swiftly arose. Her mind flashed to a different car, a different man, a different voice saying it would be no trouble to drop them off right at their house. Niaomi swung her satchel onto her shoulder and turned back to give Nicholas the same answer she’d given Charles. “I’m sure. Thanks for the ride.”

“See you tomorrow, then.” He was still frowning as she shut the door behind her, idling for just a while as she walked away before finally driving off.

Sam waited by the dented sign, his face unreadable in the twilight. As she approached him, he asked in a quiet voice, “Is he another boyfriend?”

“No, of course not,” she said. “We’re just classmates working on a school project.”

“Promise?”

Crouching down, Niaomi stared into his solemn eyes. “Promise. You know you’re the only boy I’ve got time for, Silly Sam. Now hop up - we’re going for a ride!”

His grin melted away the lingering sense of remorse, and he eagerly climbed onto her back. Hooking her arms around his legs, she stood as he yelled with glee, “Giddy up!”

Neighing, she took off down the street as her brother’s peals of laughter echoed through the air, the people who hung in the shadows smiling at the sight the two of them made. Niaomi tossed back her head as she clopped up the steps, stomping one foot on the welcome mat until Sammy finally said, “Whoa, girl!”

She snorted one more time before bending down so that he could dismount, still smiling as she unlocked the door to see Diana standing there in the kitchen. Her merriment faded as fast as it had come while Sam ran up to the woman with a grin. She scooped him up into her arms, swinging him around as his giggles came again. “How’s my cowboy doing?”

“Good! Nia was my horse, and none of the bandits wanted face us cause they were so scared!”

“Is that so?” Diana looked at Niaomi, who turned away to shut the door and lock it behind her. “Sounds like you’re going to be the next sheriff soon.”

“Only if I get a badge,” Sammy hedged, hoping for one of the stickers their mother had given them when they were younger.

“I’ll see what I can do.” The look of disappoint on her brother’s face made her lips tighten. It seemed that all the woman could do was make people disappointed.