Chapter 10 - The closer you are...

Chapter Ten – The Closer you are…

As Liam woke the next morning he turned to see the ground beside him empty. Immediately he feared the worst as he jumped to his feet and began calling Grace’s name.

Then he saw her as she ran into the house, her red hair flying behind her. Liam pulled her into his arms and held her breathing into the crook of her neck.

“Liam?” Grace questioned as he felt her shiver, her little voice sent tingles down his spine

“I thought you’d gone Grace, I thought you’d left me” Liam whispered into her ear

“Why would that matter Liam? I didn’t think you cared for me!” He could sense the irritation in her voice as he pulled back to see the anger and confusion there on her face.

“You stupid woman!” Liam cried as she tried to pull away from him and he pushed her arms to her side and held her there “Of course I care for you! I did the minute I realised that it was you that came barrelling towards me on that horse. The way your eyes flash with your temper and the way your face glows in the light. I have always cared for you Grace Bradshaw!”

“Then why didn’t you say anything?” Grace whispered ducking her head and in an attempt to hide her face from Liam. That wouldn’t work on him! He lifted her chin to stare into her eyes.

“Grace Bradshaw I never said anything because I couldn’t explain that I was feeling more for someone that I had just met over a woman that was my wife!” Liam smiled her eyes that were previously wandering snapped to his own

“You mean that? You… you… had feelings for me?”

Liam nodded as he smashed his lips to hers feeling her tender lips against his own as sparks flew between him and he ran his fingers through her hair, knocking the hat off of her head. After what seemed like an eternity but was only a few minutes he pulled away to look into her face.

“Grace, listen I know things are moving fast. I know that things have been hard and we are both united in our hatred for that man, but when I saw those men take you at the camp and when I saw you get injured I couldn’t help but fall at your feet. Without seeing you there I don’t know what I’d do! I think I’d fall apart if I didn’t see the way you ride that horse of yours or the way you whip out your pistol. I’ve always believed that strong reasons make strong actions so these are mine. I think I love you Grace Bradshaw.”

Grace looked up into Liam’s eyes to see the sincerity there as Liam felt himself melt inside with her gaze waiting for her reply.

“Liam when I saw you lying there and when you were down at the river with your strongly built body and the way you smirk at the slightest things. Happiness depends on ourselves and I’ve always told myself to never live in the past but to always learn from it, I’ve had a hard life Liam and I can’t offer you my innocence because that has already been taken. I can’t offer you my firsts because they have been taken. I’m not anything a woman should be, I won’t stay in the kitchen and cook whilst you’re ploughing the fields or driving the cattle, I’ll be out there with you. I won’t be waiting at home for you whilst you’re out hunting, because I’ll be out there firing my gun with you. Sure I want a family one day but that won’t make me more of a woman that you will want. You need to know that you need to take me as I am, or not at all.”

Liam laughed as her kissed her again before chuckling as he answered “Miss Bradshaw I can’t offer you my firsts either so we can rewrite them all together. Your innocence doesn’t make you a woman, you just have to look at you to know that you’re a woman and if anyone was to question that then I’ll be more than happy to prove them wrong. I definitely don’t want you waiting anywhere for me, because I’ll be wanting you right by my side no matter what.”

“That’s all I need to hear” Grace smiled as she launched herself at Liam and they tumbled to the floor, they quickly both became tangled as Liam ran his hands down her body removing the buttons from her shirt.

“You are beautiful Gracie” and he noticed that she smiled at her name

“Take me Liam; you need to take me now. I want to be with you now” Grace ran her fingers across Liam’s cheek as she ripped his shirt from him

“Damn Gracie that was my best shirt!” Grace chuckled as Liam was quick to comply with her previous request.

Quickly they both became one and grew closer in the house that Liam hoped one day he could have as his home with her.