Part 12

For the past few days I've done nothing but lay in my bed and think. I've hardly even eaten. I can't get Elias's words out of my head. I've been told he is alive. I want to see him for myself, but my father would never condone such an action. I need to see him. I pull myself together and decide to finally get up and go to the prison where he is being held. The only problem, is it's late at night. If I go now, and I am caught, I can only imagine the consequences that would result for me. But if I try to go during the day, I don't think there's any way I could even get near the prison. I am going to  sneak over there now. I slip on the white satin shoes laid next to my bed and pull my robe off of the chair near my bed and drape it over my body. I quietly make my way over to the door and open it just slightly enough so I can fit through.

As soon as I make it outside of my bed chamber, I hear the sound of heels slamming on the floor flood the hallway.   I dart to conceal myself behind a pillar that stands in the hallway. The footsteps stop and voices take their place. It's my father. "She's not even emerged from that room for days. She's hardly eaten a bite of food. I understand she's been tortured by those pirates, but I thought she would be happier to be home. I'm worried about her."

"As am I, sir. You know of my feelings for her. All I want is for her to be content and healthy. I fear for her as you do, sir." I peak my head from around the pillar to attempt to make out a face. It's Commodore Lawrence.

"Thank you, commodore. You and I should get some rest." My father suggests to him.

"Thank you, sir." Their fading footsteps end the conversation. I peer around from the pillar I am tucked behind. No one is within sight so I run as quickly and silently as I can. My feet scuff the floor so they make little sound. I reach the doorway and halt. I reach for the handle and take heed as I open it. I only open it far enough for me to be able to fit through. The chilled air hits my face and causes a shiver to be sent down my spine. I, however, do not halt running. If I'm not to be caught, I must be as quick as I can be.

My lungs and legs ache as I reach the prison. I hunch over in an attempt to recollect my breath. Once I feel well enough, I carry myself into the prison to find the guard asleep with his feet on the desk that sits in front of him. "Sir," I say loudly enough for him to wake up.

He shakes as he awakens. "Can I help you?"

I clear my throat. "Yes, you can. I need to see the pirate that is being held here," I demand.

"Sorry miss. Can't do that at this hour of the night," his cockney voice commands.

"I'll give you whatever amount of money you desire. Just please. I need to see him now," I plead.

Without a word, he stands and leads me down a flight of stairs. My skirt drags on the stairs as I scan each cell for Elias. I find him at the end of the hallway curled up in a corner like a child. I run to his cell and grab the bars that stand between us.  "Elias," I whisper. He sits up and turns around to look at me. I smile for a moment, but I can't hold it. He crawls over to me and kneels in front of me. I can tell he's weak. I notice dried blood all over his forehead and some even on his nose.

"Christine, Christine what are you doing here?" He can barely even speak.

"What's happened to you?"

He looks confused. "This?" He asks as he touches the blood that covers his face. "It's nothing. It's just when they threw me in here my head scraped the ground."

"Elias-"

He stops me from continuing on by asking "Why are you here?"

"I need to know why you did what you did. If I'm to get you out of this, then you have to tell me everything." He sighs. I can tell he doesn't want to say anything. "Elias. Tell me." I reach for his hand to comfort him.

He takes a deep breath. "Christine, I'm madly in love with you. I've never loved anyone in the same way that I love you. I wanted to get you out of this nightmare you were living. This was my only way to do that. I knew we could never be together. I don't want to serve as a reminder of that night when-"

"Please don't speak of that night. No one knows about that yet and I don't rumors to begin in a jail. Please."

He nods. "Well, that night, I felt so horrible that I didn't come sooner. I could have stopped it all together. I-I just I didn't," he says as he sobs with his chin tucked to his neck

"Elias, you're not a reminder for me. You saved me in my time of need. I don't know how to thank you for doing that, actually."

"Christine, I love you, but you can't belong with me. You have to go."

"Elias," I pause.

"Just go!" He screams

I look at him, choking back my tear-filled eyes before I run up the stairs, tears streaming down my cheeks. I don't even bother to wipe them away. I barely stumble out of the prison. I hide in a corner between houses and let everything pour out of me. I keep quiet, however, because there is a risk of someone finding me if I make too much noise.

I sit with my knees to my chest for a short while before regain enough strength to pick myself up and walk back to the mansion.