Chapter One: The Night Before

I wasn’t sure what was supposed to be so special about that night in particular, but Lexi, Sunny, Ramone, Lonnie and the others were hyped. While I was resting in a numb buzz of alcohol, they were moving around the basement of the three bedroom house with adrenaline. Logically, I knew it was probably the coke that they digested, but mentally my drunk mind couldn’t begin to grasp what had them looking at the walls like they were interesting. Not even ten minutes ago, Lexi had claimed that the walls were closing in on her. In actuality it had been a spider making its way up the tiles of the ceiling. That had been amusing.

They had their own little party in swing and I couldn’t help but laugh. Ramone was trying to pin Lexi down for a kiss, while Sunny was talking to an life size doll. It was one of those dolls that had a wide open mouth and reportedly could be used for a man’s pleasure if he couldn’t get a girl. It was relatively new and Sunny chatting it up was making the night more so. Tilting a bottle of Mike Hard, I downed a few ounces without pause and felt it burn my throat before I let my head fall back as I felt a rush of dizziness and a blur of sensation as I laughed uncontrollably.

“Sunny, what are you doing?” I slurred, as I moved my head towards his direction. The spin of it made me see in double and I blinked trying to clear my head.

Sunny turned towards me and laughed softly, before he focused back on the doll. “Sabrina, you’re the only person I can depend on,” he responded, before his left hand came forward to rest on the doll’s chest with ease.

A burst of laughter left me at that. Sabrina, the person, was on the other side of the basement making out with Rob. Sabrina who was supposed to be Sunny’s girlfriend. That just went to show how fucked up he was. The doll had some similar features, but not too many. I turned my body slightly and felt the couch cushion dip slightly as Luke’s six foot frame sat down next to me. The warmth of his body passed onto mine and I turned looking at him, before lifting the bottle again.

“Chloe,” he greeted, placing an arm on my shoulder and grinning.  “Why are you so alone?”

I shrugged. “I’m not alone,” I slurred. “You’re here, Lexi’s here, Sunny, Sabrina and all of these other fuckers are here too.”

“You’re the only one in this corner, than me,” he responded. “Everyone, but you and me is having a good time. So why not?”

I glanced up at the blur of his blonde hair and that slight glisten of his green eyes. I blinked trying to get his image clear in my mind. Luke was that guy, if you could past the fact that he reeked of weed. The smell always surrounded him. He didn’t do drugs or alcohol, but weed was his thing. Laughter parted my lips all over again.

“How about no,” I returned.

Drunk as I was I had never been that into Luke.

“C’mon,” he continued. “It’s not like anyone else is going to notice. We’re both hot and I know you haven’t gotten laid in six months.”

I shook my head even as it spun. “No,” I repeated, even as I felt my stomach burning.

It meant that I was reaching my cut off limit. It was okay to be piss ass drunk and slur words and even stumble, but throwing up was a no-no. I didn’t want to do that, so I took the bottle and set it down on what I thought was the table. Moments later, I heard the sound of shattering glass and smelled the alcohol. A giggle escaped.

“Oops.”

I looked back at Luke and ran a hand through my hair. At the same exact moment, he grabbed my shoulders and shook me slightly. “It’s not like you’re so far up that damn ladder anymore. You’re not one of them anymore and that means you don’t have a right to be so damn haughty and picky.”