CHAPTER 15 | offer he can't refuse

Kaitlyn's phone vibrated on her lap. She glanced down at the message and groaned. Instead of replying she turned the phone over and ignored it. This was not the time for twenty questions from her grandfather. She'd already had one awkward conversation with him, and had no intention of repeating the experience.

What the hell was the matter with everybody anyway?

So, what if she and Murphy were in a relationship. People had been doing it from the dawn of time; it wasn't unusual or unique. To make matters worse, she'd repeated the mistake, and answered when Molly, Murphy's mother, called. For the first ten minutes, all Molly did was cry. At first, she thought something had happened to Liam, Murphy's father. Eventually, Molly managed to string a few words together to confirm Liam was fine. In the end, the only thing she could get out of her was, "We'd given up hope and thought he would die alone and angry at the world."

If that conversation wasn't strange enough, her grandfather was heading towards the twilight zone. If his last message was anything to go by, he would be in Nederland before they returned. Kaitlyn had come to the conclusion Immigrants were weird, to say the least, and that she would never understand them. She and Murphy had only just admitted their feeling for each other when he was attacked and left for dead by the Lycan. Beyond taking each day as it came, they had not discussed anything long term. Which wasn't surprising, considering they had finished up one disaster, only to fall straight into another.

Why their relationship was such an issue, was beyond her.

People fell in and out of love all the time. For all she knew, Murphy would get bored of her soon enough and move on. Granted, she'd never survive and would binge on chocolate ice cream, and bake up a storm. Kaitlyn frowned and tipped her head to one side. Perhaps she'd better order some more Tupperware?

When she was younger, she'd fancied herself in love. As she matured, she knew better. There was a big difference between lust and love. Kaitlyn couldn't imagine loving anyone after Murphy.

Two more messages arrived and broke her concentration.

Unable to help herself, she let out a loud exhale and stole a glance.

Before she could turn the phone around, Simon poked his head between the drivers and passengers seat. "Ignoring it won't make it go away." He paused and raised an eyebrow as he indicated towards Murphy in the driver's seat. "Or is it from someone you don't want us to know about."

Kaitlyn narrowed her eyes. "First of all, bean counter, it's none of your business."

She turned her phone over so Simon couldn't see the message. Granted, it also meant that she couldn't see who it was from or what it was about. Not willing to give in to her curiosity, she stared out the window as Murphy drove the rental through the main gates of the large mansion that was home to the New England mafia don, and the head of the east coast mafia cartel.

"What was the second?" asked Simon, "or do all you F.B.I. types not know how to count properly?"

"The second is that it's none of your business, and so is the third, any every other number after that."

Kaitlyn stiffened as they came to a halt near the main entrance. Ambrose Giordano wasn't a man she wanted to see again. He, along with his goons had taken her mother prisoner and allowed Elijah, a deranged psychopath Werewolf, to not only beat her, but use parts of her body as a cutting board.

Kaitlyn had already lost her father to Elijah, she didn't know what she would have done if she'd lost her mom as well. She glanced sideways at Murphy and wondered if he too was reliving the night they rid the world of June's killer.