Day Twenty-Four: They Came with the Tide

A gentle breeze pushed through the screen and tickled my short black hair against my forehead. All the windows were open, but I knew I would have to close them soon, it seemed like a down pour would start momentarily. The waves pushed and crashed against the boats and dock just outside. I began to go around closing the windows, not sure if there were any procedures I had to follow if it began rained; I had only been working here at the Marina for three days.

My radio beeped and shook me from my tranced state, "Sean, you there?"

I knew the rough voice anywhere, "Yeah Ron, what's up?" Ron had never failed to surprise me. I knew just by his complexion when I saw him he was a veteran, but still, the stories he told rattled me to the core.

"I'm coming in, it's about to rain," he grumbled in the usual gravelly voice. I chuckled to myself, it reminded me of Batman.

"Alright, doors unlocked." I set the radio down and peered out the glass door leading onto the docks. There, I saw Ron, slowly limping because of his bad knee. He had told me about the injury and said it was from a grenade but refused to go into detail. I made him and myself a cup of coffee as the rain began to come down. We both sat and I continued to look out the window, waiting for the work day to come to an end. Lately, storms had plagued this side of the bay, causing the tide to rise and bring floods.

"Looks like the Marina is going under again," Ron said breaking the silence as he glanced at the rising water.

"Hopefully not too much this time," I took a sip of the coffee, "last time it was up to our knees."

"Your knees," he corrected me and chuckled his raspy laugh. He had always enjoyed making fun of my under average height.

"Hey, at least my eyes aren't as grey as my hair," I grinned and we both snickered.

The tide slowly rose as the day went on; Ron had decided he would cut his work day short since it was far too flooded to work on the boats. I stayed, hoping at least one customer would show up since we also sold beer and cigarettes. For a long while I stared out the window before I noticed something on the other side of the boatyard. Past the bobbing ships, I saw a man. He was kneeling beside a dead bird. I gagged thinking of bad it must smell and why this man was even near it. Slowly, he reached down and picked it up by the legs, blood trickled down its neck and dripped to the ground. I stood and walked over to the window, staring at him, disgusted, but very curious.

Suddenly he snapped his head towards me, causing my legs to go limp and nearly fall backwards when I saw him. What I believed to be his face had no features, any exposed skin seemed completely out of focus. His clothes, however, were clearly visible. The polo he wore was stained a sickly green color. The longer I looked at him the more nauseous I felt. I forced myself to look away from the misty complexion. Slowly rubbing my eyes I looked back up through the window.

Streams of rain snaked down the glass. The "man" and bird were gone. Not a trace that I could see was left. An open field stood all around the area they had been. The only place he could have gone was the water, which seemed to have risen an unusual amount.

I instantly called Ron in a panic. He answered, clearly annoyed by my phone call on his break.

"What do you want?" He grumbled.

"I have no idea," I blurted without thinking, "this guy picked up a dead bird and just ran away with it."

"Why is this problem, Sean?" There was a pause as I thought about it. Somehow, I knew it wasn't natural and not just my mind playing tricks on me, but I sure didn't want him thinking I was mentally insane. "See? There's no problem. Just some weirdo," he reassured me in a calmer tone. We both hung up and I went back to my duties, sitting in a chair and hoping I wouldn't see that scene again.