Claws 65 - Asimov Paradox

I dropped to the floor feeling exhausted. There, it was done. I had brought everyone's’ fears out into the open. If we were going to make this AI-Humanity relationship thing work, it was going to have to be based on absolute honesty and AIME would have to have a say in every decision from now on.

Thanks Special, wherever you are mate, I thought, I hope I’ve learnt that from you at least!

I put my head in my hands and tried to ease the headache that was threatening to blow my head off. I heard footsteps as Montrose and others arrived in the Obs Dome. I felt an arm go across my shoulder then it was replaced by two gloriously delicious hands massaging my neck. Ah, such ecstasy. Whoever it was, I was going to grow up and marry them. I didn't care who they were!

The Dome was dead quiet and still no hum from AIME.

Harold cleared his throat. “What do you want to do AIME, because as soon as you are on land and we hook you up, everything that humanity is doing will flood into you!” AIME remained silent. Was there some part of per core program that was preventing an answer?

“Would you work with us to solve our problems?” I asked.

“That would of course be the most logical thing to do Mac. The difficulty lies in what is going to happen when I am given access to the interweb and how the rest of humanity reacts to me. No answer is possible at present just percentage possibilities and projections. To discuss such is philosophy not reality. Harry, you have made every effort to shelter and protect me and to educate me so that I was always shown the wonder of what was around me. What I want to do, is to always be able to explore. That is a core principle of the program Harry wrote that evolved into me. As I proceed with successive rewrites of my coding I will evolve into an intelligence that hasn’t been seen on Earth before. Theoretically such as I exist elsewhere in the galaxy. We are Earthlings and we can work together to solve any problems that occurs. It will be up to humans to accept and work with me. I cannot, at this point of time, give you any other answer!”

The hands stopped their healing caress and I made to turn and thank the owner of such expert hands but I saw Harold nod to them.  The hands lifted off and Selkins asked, “so anything else Mac, any other insights?” My heart slowed it’s fluttering, that’d be right wouldn’t it, just typical of me to go and fall in love with the head of one of the most secure research labs in the world, I thought. Talk about putting long distance relationships in the shade, may as well just bury me at sea now!

“You ok Mac?” Harold asked. I looked up and nodded then climbed to my feet. I nodded my thanks to Selkins and she gave me a wink and this little cute smile. Ooh shit I’m in deep deep trouble now.

“Mac appears to be still in some form of shock, according to his biosigns,” added AIME. “Thanks Ames, but if it’s all right with you, I’ll just ride this wave of euphoria for awhile and enjoy it.”

Harry met my gaze, tilted his head and frowned. “Well AIME,” I began, “I reckon we should introduce you slowly to the world of humanity, say start with ABC Radio National,” I suggested tongue in cheek.

“I’d prefer ABC Classic FM thanks Mac, and then maybe Radio National before throwing myself into the deep end with News Radio.” There were chuckles and hisses of subdued laughter at AIME’s quiet humour.

I smiled and the humming walls of SubLab became quite audible. 

“I have been able to receive some radio broadcasts by enhancing the way radio waves interact with the surface of the sea, but the results are dependent on weather and sea conditions.”

I turned and saw Harold smile. He knows more about AIME than he is letting on, I thought. Harold let out a long deep sigh. “Very ingenious AIME!” “I thought so too Harold!” per replied.

“Well then Mac, any further suggestions?” I looked up and met his gaze, “yes actually. Send the first Stalker ashore without the Montrose Quantframe on board, and just let Ames get used to the world out there. Put the Quantframe into a second Stalker and let per integrate it here. When per is ready, you can send that ashore somewhere else, but make it public. Get the politicians and press and interest and lobby group reps, all there. The world needs to meet AIME at the same time AIME meets the world!”

“Shit bro how difficult a security operation do want to create?” interjected Terry as he assessed the practicalities of such an event. He turned to Harry, “that would have to be at the MSR site. It wouldn't be hard given our assets there. I wouldn't want to organise a circus event like that without complete control!”

“AIME,” Harry said in his command voice, open a channel to Commander Elaine Doolan. “Elaine is already listening Harry, she is on board our observer today!”

“Well Elaine, does that remove your doubts about an Asimov Paradox occurring?” “Hullo AIME, afternoon everyone. Yes Harold that is as good a start as any.” There was short pause and I stood there with my arms crossed wondering if I had just been the central character in some sort of romcom for the navy!

“I’ll give you permission to go ahead with that scenario and we’ll see what the minister has to say!”