Chapter Two continued...

The mare shifted, swinging slightly, and I took up the slack rein and turned to see what had disturbed her. Ulric sat aboard Peter’s rouncey. He didn’t smile, but then there was no glare of disapprobation either.

‘You did not visit your cousins, Ysabel.’

Caught out. What to say?

‘No.’

‘Is it that you needed time and seclusion then?’

Ah, Ulric.

‘I had thought to visit them but decided it was unfair to abuse their hospitality and help…’

‘But that was surely something we agreed at the outset of our stay here.’

‘Yes, I know…’

Then am I right? You seek time alone to digest the information you received today?’

I jumped off the mare as he too, dismounted, and we tied the reins into the cheekstraps of the bridles, leaving the horses to graze peaceably. We walked to a rocky plateau on the riverside and sat.

‘He was so abrupt, Ulric. I am his son’s mother. I believe I deserve more.’

Ulric lifted his gaze to the sculpted detail of Cazenay’s merlons and crenels.

‘Perhaps, Ysabel. But he has ever been a man who cuts to the heart of the matter. Unnecessary wordage is an anathema to such as he.’

I recalled our journey to England and found I had to agree. Gisborne was hardly an artless communicator. Which, I thought with a grimace, was why he was indeed the perfect spymaster.

‘He no doubt conveyed in few words,’ Ulric continued, ‘that you and he both are in significant danger from a vengeful Halsham and if you did not understand that Halsham might move heaven and earth to achieve his ends, then you are not as prescient as I presumed.’

‘How kind you are,’ I muttered, turning to check if the horses remained close by.

‘I mean no offence, my lady. But I know you well enough to guess that a plan forms in your mind, and with a little headwork of mine own, I can guess what it is.’

‘Then it is as well you are our protector and not Gisborne,’ I replied tartly. ‘To have someone who reads minds places us leagues ahead of Halsham in every way.’

‘Don’t be ridiculous, Ysabel. It doesn’t suit you.’

‘Then tell me what does, Ulric, because for sure I do not know. In less than two years I have been an orphan, a murderer, I have been raped, widowed, given birth and now I hold the title of felon, named by my king. I think a touch of bitterness is warranted, the more so because the one person I trusted to be my strength and succour has cast me aside.’

It did not occur to me I might offend Ulric by such words until I thought on them later. To his credit he showed no offence, jumping off the rock to a soft pebble shore below to walk right to the water’s edge, the shingle hissing and fussing beneath his feet.

‘Adrift? I think not. In a similar analogy, he has provided you and his son with money and safe passage on a cog crewed by deft men and with a safe anchorage in sight. He however has taken ship in another direction, rowing right past the enemy fleet. Why do you think he has done that, Ysabel?’

My brow creased as I realised.

‘Well?’ posed my friend gruffly. I would suspect a touch of anger in anyone else. My mouth hooked down as I shrugged my shoulders.