Lesson #1: Curiosity and Fear

With sweaty palms, I looked up at the door. No one was in the hallway, so I didn't worry about anyone catching me. The only thing that was concerning me at the moment was the noise coming from the other side of the door. It was a strange sound, like glass clanking against something. After each sound, there seemed to be tension arising from whoever was in the room. I assumed that it was the police, as Mr. Nashton had mentioned earlier. Worse case scenario, I'd just say I got lost and didn't read the sign.

I didn't want to waste anymore time, in fear of being seen by someone. With a quick twist of the doorknob, I was in the room. Just by taking a quick glance, I saw that it appeared to be empty. There were a few shelves and desks, each piled with chemicals and papers, but no people. No noise, either.

When my eyes came across a man standing in the corner, I nearly jumped three feet into the air. He was very tall, skinny, and was wearing a peculiar outfit. It was mostly brown, with belt buckles on the shirt, a straw hat on his head...the fist thing that came to mind was a scarecrow. He had what I recognized to be burlap in his hand, his blue eyes giving me a disapproving look.

“Do kids these days read anymore?” he grimaced, slowly walking towards me. His long fingers curled around the mask. “You're not supposed to be in here.”

“I could say the same thing about you,” I retorted, keeping eye contact with the man.

“Bravery?” he said in mock astonishment. He startled laughing.

“Look, I'm just in here to see what the fuss was about. Since no one would tell me about the professor, I decided to find out for myself. I was going to leave in a few minutes anyway,” I put my hands up in defense, making sure to stay calm.

“Why don't you find out from the professor himself?” he cackled.

“Y-you?” was all I could say.

“Yes...fortunately, I can't risk drawing attention to myself, so I'll be on my way,” he remarked, grabbing as many chemicals as he could.

“I'll just be going too then,” I said nervously.

“However, I can't let you go off, telling everyone that I was here, which I have no doubt that you will do that...” he mused, looking back at me. “I'll just have to let my partner deal with you.”

“Partner?” I raised an eyebrow at him. This creep had a partner?

“Dear?” he called. A few seconds later, a woman walked out from behind one of the desks. She looked to be in her early twenties, and was in an outfit that matched the old professor's. He smiled at her, and she smiled back. As her eyes locked with mine, she gave me a look I didn't understand, but it terrified me. “She's all yours.”

He turned back around, leaving the room without another word. The professor's partner began circling me, catching a glimpse of me from all directions.

“Who are you?” she asked. “I don't normally see you around here.”

“The name's Ren,” I said quickly. I didn't dare to tell her my last name. I didn't want her to know too much of my personal information. “Yours?”

“Luna,” she beamed at the name. Why hadn't I realized it before? Well, I did know it was The Scarecrow subconsciously, but a part of my mind was trying to convince myself that it wasn't him. I wasn't stupid, just scared. I winced as I noticed a syringe in her hands. “Now, I don't know if you've noticed, but this really isn't the time to get acquainted.”

“Hold on a second,” I shook my head, trying to forget about the large needle. “You're partners with him?”

“Might I ask what gave you the nerve to come here in the first place?” she hissed, obviously annoyed by my question.