Chapter 4: Eliminated

OMG. I'm so happy right now! Exposure, the 4th book in the Virals series, came out 3 days ago. I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT! And I also found out that the next book in the Lorien Legacies series is coming out in August.

Gah! I can't wait that long. I wanna see Seven kill that traitorous bastard Five. (Sorry to those people who have simply no idea what I'm talking about and are staring at me as if I'm crazy, and if I ruined the story for anyone. If I did, I am truly truly sorry)

'Anna!' I burst into the apartment, breathing ragged, eyes searching. I noticed the said person lounging on the moth eaten couch we had saved up for. She looked up, startled.

'Quick,' I panted, bending my knees and leaning on them, while catching my breath, 'It's Rina.'

Her eyes widened, as she jumped up, 'Is she okay?'

I didn't reply, instead, rushing out the door, with Anna got on my heels.

Slowly, the body materialised in the gloom. I paused, a few meters away, letting Anna take in the scene. Beside me, I heard her gasp, before stifling a sob. Fighting back my own tears, I placed a soothing hand on her back, then steered her closer to the body

'Is she..' She couldn't finish the sentence.

'Yes,' I whispered, 'She's dead.' I felt her nod, as bent over the corpse, gently moving the hair covering Rina's eyes, revealing the wrinkled skin thin lips of the old woman. I imagined her small, pea sized eyes crinkling up as they always did when she saw us, the thin lips stretching into a heart-warming smile.

Reaching down, my fingers brushed over her forehead, the place where I had touched during the gratitude ritual, now, it felt cold. Despite the warming weather, I shivered.

'Laura,' I heard Anna say. I didn't reply, my mouth unable to form words.

'Laura, look!' Sighing slightly, I turned. Anna was holding Rina's left hand, her body shaking.

'What's wrong?' I asked gently.

She bit her lip, as if contemplating wether she should show me or not, then showed me the back of the limp hand she was holding.

Test subject 261

I frowned slightly, why was she showing me this? Was it bad to have that written on her hand?

Anna must have noticed my confusion, because she pointed to a crumpled piece of paper lying on the floor.

At first, I only noticed the green dragon coiled around the red ball, but then, words, written by a harsh, spiky hand.

Test subject 261.

Eliminated.

And.. Once again! A rather short chapter! I just felt that it was suitable to end it there so I did. Hope it was okay.

Also, I would just like to remind everyone that 'Test Subject 261' is Laura's (the main character's) test number, so in the test labs, they refer to her as that.

Oh, and I wanted to tell everyone to read the BEST series in the world. It's called Virals and its by Kathy Reichs (You may remember me mentioning it at the start of the chapter). I LOVE THAT SERIES SO MUCH!

Lol, you should feel lucky you don't go to school with me, because if you did, your ears would probably be bleeding from me raving about it so much.

Signing out!

~Aura