Chapter Seventeen

Buck heard my scream loud and clear and that panicked him. He ran faster and tried to get away from the foxes but these ones were determined to get him. As the shock and fear rushed through me, I lost sense of direction and pulled Buck to the left. The foxes didn't stop but they did slow down a little since they knew exactly where we were headed. We kept running and Buck was to scared to stop. As we ran further, the foxes began to slow to a walk and as they did, my sense of direction came back to me. Now I knew why the foxes had stopped. We were heading straight for the cliff and at this pace, Buck wouldn't be able to stop and we'd fall right off the end! I tried to pull him away but my body was still paralysed with fear and my limbs were simply not working. Buck was still running at top speed and I could see the edge of the cliff. I closed my eyes, knowing that I wouldn't be able to do anything but then I heard something come whizzing past my face and tied itself around Buck's neck. I opened my eyes and there was a rope around Buck's neck, pulling him to the left and away from the cliff side. I looked back and Chloe was racing towards from us and the other end of the rope was attatched to Fly's neck. She wheeled him around and he sped off in the opposite direction, at such a pace, I could barely see him. They were just in time, pulling Buck away from the cliff. I heard a few clumps of rock and mud fall down the cliff as Buck's hooves pushed them off of the edge before being pulled away by Fly. Chloe pushed Fly on and he dragged Buck back to the top of the hill and it was only then that they stopped. We stopped for a rest. Buck was shaking and sweat was dripping off of him. Fly stood panting next to us. Chloe herself was panting with fear and shock. When our breathing had calmed down and Buck was more stable, Chloe looked at me and said," What were you thinking? I thought I'd told you about this trail?"

I shook my head and said," I thought that that trail was the one that you showed me the other day."

Chloe shook her head and said," No, you went up to the left, not the right. Its an easy mistake. The right looks less inviting. But just don't come up here without me or one of the dogs. It's dangerous, especially with those foxes."

"Would they actually kill Buck?" I asked.

"Yes, they killed one of my mares once," Chloe said as she began to lead me back.

I wondered if Chloe was lying to try and scare me out coming up here again.

"You're joking," I laughed nervously.

Chloe gave me a long hard stare and said," I don't lie, Amy."

I didn't say anything else on the way back. I rubbed Buck down and put him in his stable. I wouldn't be riding him for a little while. As I went up the stairs, I saw the cliff that Buck and I would have fallen down. I was so glad to have Chloe. I certainly would have died without her. As I calmed down, I remembered how fast Fly had been and the race. I saw him in the paddock now. He was galloping up and down his field, fast as lightning. He would have no trouble in that race. I just hoped that he would win!