Chapter 6: The Pain of Going Home (EDITED)

The drive home flew by. I blinked and we were suddenly back at mine and Becca's crappy apartment complex. Will pulled into one of the unplowed parking spots and got out with Becca, standing by my door. I wrapped my arm around Will's shoulders as he carefully helped me out and we began walking toward the old brick building. Becca tried to take my other side but Will brushed her off and said it wasn't necessary. It made me wonder just how physically strong Will was. I knew I wasn't the lightest person and my weight didn't seem to even phase him.

We slowly progressed toward the rusty stairs and I felt my strength completely draining from my body. The cold soaked my bones, stealing what little coordination I had and I tripped. My eyes squeezed shut and my body tensed, making me gasp in pain. After a moment when nothing happened, I opened my eyes to see Will holding me to his body.

My voice got caught in my throat and all I could do was stare at him. I suddenly became extremely aware that I was pressed tightly to his warm, muscular body. His expression morphed from concerned to curious as he studied my face. A loud cough broke me from his gaze and he relaxed his grip on me slightly.

"You okay Annalise?" Becca's voice called back.

"Um...yeah, I'm fine. Thanks Will." I muttered, not meeting his eyes.

"You're welcome." I could feel his deep voice rumbling through his chest into me. My cheeks flamed and I tried to pull away, but his grip was too tight. I finally met his eyes again to see why he was still holding me and was met with a thoughtful look. "I think I'd better just carry you in. You're not going to be able to make it up those rickety metal stairs anyway and I don't want to risk you tripping again."

I wanted to disagree but I found my voice too late. He'd already smoothly hoisted me up into his arms. At this point, I found it best to just do my best to pretend nothing was happening and hope my blush went away. Becca turned away quickly, but if I had to guess I'd say I saw a hint of a smile on her face.

He walked quickly but still managed to keep from jostling me much. As he walked, I couldn't help but admire how strong he was. He acted like my body weighed nothing, and even as he went up the stairs he didn't hesitate once. Becca walked in front of us and unlocked the door, holding it open for him as he brought me inside. He walked instantly down the hall to my bedroom and laid me down on the bed gently, Becca following behind.

"Welcome home Annie." Will softly smiled.

Becca stepped forward and lightly grabbed my hand, smiling. "I'm so glad you're back. Before you know it you'll be all better."

"Thanks guys. I really appreciate everything you've both done for me."

Becca mumbled a 'no problem' before leaving the room. I glanced up at Will, wondering why he hadn't said anything when I thanked him.  His warm brown eyes looked glazed over, as if lost in thought.

"Will? You okay? You've been really quiet."

His gaze finally flickered back over to me and he seemed to shake himself out of his odd mood and smiled.

"I'm fine Annie. Just glad you're finally home," he paused, looking concerned, "you must be tired after walking like that when you haven't walked that much all week. You should try to sleep."

I grimaced a bit in embarrassment. I only walked a few yards, with heavy support at that. But he was right, unfortunately. I was exhausted now. I sighed.

"Yeah, you're right. I'll take a nap..." I trailed off, wanting to ask him to stay with me even though I knew it was a selfish request. I mean, he's just spent the whole week sleeping in awful hospital chairs. How could I ask more of him?