Chapter 1- 10 years later...

Waking up to a scream, Tyson Hayes looked out his window and down the back ally of his apartment building, gun in hand. Peering through the window, he noticed a figure looming over what looked to be a teenaged girl. She screamed again as the figure grabbed her by the throat and lifted her into the air. Tyson didn't think about what he was doing, but was soon jumping out of the window and landing on the fire escape railing. Climbing down the ladder and reaching the street, he got behind some dumpsters to get better cover. Suddenly, he saw a flash go by his head and was shocked when the figure's arm suddenly caught on fire.

Looking in the direction of where the flash came from, he saw two people standing there with hoodies covering their faces. The figure screamed in pain and let his grip on the girl fall. The girl then fell to the ground and scrambled to her feet to run towards the two hooded people. The shorter one grabbed her and placed her behind them, while the taller of the two ran at the figure and did a round kick to the head, making the figure fall flat to the ground. The hooded person loomed over the fallen figure and suddenly, they let out a deep laugh. The figure looked up at the hooded person as it laughed and Tyson could finally see that it was a man, features angelic, but its eyes were blazing black as it gazed up at the hooded person. Tyson couldn't believe it, there was a Hunter in the city. The Hunter's laughter continued while he said to the person in front of him, "You sure have gained some strength these past years, Emmy."

The one he called Emmy stiffened and removed her hood and Tyson was shocked by what he saw. Removing her hood revealed a massive amount of red hair, he had never seen hair as red as that before. "My name is Ember not Emmy," she replied through her teeth, "Leave now Fredrick or you will force me to kill you once and for all." The Hunter, Fredrick, stopped smiling and growled at Ember as he stood quickly and grabbed her by the neck. Before he could do anything, another flash went by Tyson's head and the Hunter's leg was on fire, but it wasn't the normal orange looking fire, this one was blue. As the Hunter dropped Ember to put out the fire, Ember punched him in the face and sprinted back to the other two people standing there. "Ren, I told you to never get involved only when necessary," Ember said to the other hooded person who now removed their hood to reveal a teenaged boy with dark, auburn curly hair and brown eyes that starred back at Ember with anger in them. "Em, that was necessary he could have killed you," He said to Ember. She just shook her head and looked back at the Hunter, who was staring at the boy with shock. "That's something new," he said to the boy, "where'd you learn something like that Brenton." Brenton just stiffened and stepped in front of the teenaged girl that was still there, with fear in her eyes.

The Hunter then said, "Well isn't this interesting news. The Director will certainly want to know about this." As he turned to leave he looked back at the three and said, "I will be back and you better be ready because next time the real fight begins," then he vanished. Ember and Brenton sighed and turned to towards the girl, "Skyler, what happened?" Brenton asked the girl. Skyler ran into Brenton's arms and began to sob loudly. Brenton patted her head and said, "It's okay Sky he's gone and it's over." Ember murmured, "For now." Brenton just glared at her and put Skyler aside and asked her gently, "How did Fredrick get to you?" Sky looked at him and said, "I was walking home and he came out of nowhere and grabbed me and then he knocked me over the head, putting me to sleep. Then the next thing I know is that I woke up in this ally and see him standing over me, so I screamed." Ember started to pace and said to her, "If you hadn't screamed we wouldn't have found you as fast as we did. But the question is how does he know about you?" Ember stared at Sky and she looked down not wanting to meet Ember's eyes. Ember sighed, "Sky, don't tell me you were doing it again." Brenton let go of Sky and shook his head as Sky blushed and said, "Well I'm not going to get any better if I don't train." Ember just shook her head at her and said, "You can at least do it in a secure place not out in the open." Sky looked at her feet knowing she was in for a lecture. Ember just sighed again and said, "Come on let's get out of here and try to figure this out."

Before they could turn to leave, Tyson stood from his hiding spot and said, "Who are you guys?" They all turned to look at Tyson in shock then ran. "Wait!" Tyson yelled, then cursed under his breath and began to sprint after them. Tyson caught up to Sky and tackled her to the ground, Ember and Brenton stopped and took up fighting stances. "Wait," Tyson said as he held Sky in front of him and then made a small flame appear in his hand. All three gasped with shock and Ember narrowed her eyes at him and said, "Who are you?" Tyson breathed a sigh of relief as he let go of Skyler and said, "Ditto, Ember."

*************************************************************

Ember didn't like the turn of events as she glowered at the strange man who held Sky in front of him. "Come with us and I guess we can explain everything to you," she said to him. The man looked relieved as he let Sky go and replied, "Lead the way, Ember." She glared at him and began to walk down the sidewalk. Brenton came close to her and whispered, "You sure we can trust this guy?" Ember glanced back at the guy who started to catch a conversation with Skylar as they walked and said, "No, but just keep an eye out, Ren." Brenton nodded and fell back into step with his sister and said, "So, you got a name?" The man stopped talking to Sky and replied, "The name's Tyson Hayes, P.I." Ember stopped and stared at him, "You're a cop?" she asked. He shrugged and said, "No, wanted to be but started my own thing." She began to walk again and asked, "Why?" But he didn't reply, so she looked back at him then he said, "Because I don't like rules, other than my own."

She nodded and turned back to continue on to their destination. "So, when did you discover that you could control fire?" She asked. Tyson shrugged his shoulders again and replied, "About 8 years I started to be able to do it." Ember stiffened as she turned a corner and asked, "How old are you?" Tyson then said, "I'm 21." Ember nodded again, "Yeah it usually comes out about that age." Then she stopped and turned to face Tyson, "Well Mr. Hayes I will tell you this, yes there are others out there and yes it's possible for you to produce that small flame because you are an Element, like us."