Chapter 28 <3 Beth <3

That day was a flurry of emotions. I really didn’t want to leave the safety of the shelter, but once Anne set her mind to something, there was no going back.

I could tell nobody really wanted to go. Anne explained it to me by saying our mission was already compromised. The school would be suspicious by now, and we might as well do some good before the angel council re-stations us miles apart. I’ve never been able to say no to Anne. We were going to Maine whether we wanted to or not.

Then there was the problem of transportation.

After we expressed our extreme thanks and left the shelter, Michael told us to wait on the corner. After about ten minutes he came up in a black van smiling from ear to ear.

“Where the heck did you-” I started.

“You don’t think all my years on the street were wasted do you? Hop in!” Logan and I exchanged a weary glance, but Max and Jake were all over it.

The van wasn’t very impressive, but you would’ve thought Michael had won the Nobel Prize or something. Jake was practically begging Michael to show him how he hotwired it, but Michael wouldn’t budge. This was the first time I had seen the guys so close.

Logan and I got in the far back, but Anne got in the passenger side with Michael. Something seemed to prick me in the side. Was that jealousy? Was I really jealous of Anne again? Logan caught my glance and gave my hand a quick squeeze.

I smiled gratefully and settled down for the ride.

We drove north for a few miles, and then started east. Once we were out of LA, the scenery changed dramatically. From roads and tall buildings to rolling hills.

We drove and drove for probably three four hours straight.

Michael and Anne seemed to be having a great time laughing and talking with the windows rolled down, but in the back where there was no air conditioning Logan and I were practically dying of heat.

Jake seemed lost in thought and Max looked really bored.

“Hey guys, can we stop at a gas station somewhere?” I yelled up front.

“What?” Anne yelled back.

“Gas station!”

“What?!”

“Beth wants to stop at a gas station!” Max helped me out and I gave him a gracious look.

“Oh, ok.” Anne told Michael something and he nodded. “Tell her we’re passing through a town in about ten minutes.”

Max turned to me, but I nodded telling him I heard her.

At the gas station, everyone piled out. We took turns going to the bathroom, and when it was my turn I unfurled my wings and stretched them out. It felt so good to have them out.

We stocked up on all sorts of junk food and got back on the road. There was a slight tussle over the pack of Skittles, but after I broke it up everything was okay.

Once it started getting dark, we drove into a smallish suburb of Las Vegas. We found a Wal-Mart, and parked for the night. Logan and Max volunteered to stay with the van while everybody else went in to get some stuff we needed.

We split up, the guys going to get some more food, and the girls getting some things we would need later. Anne and I got some clothes, blankets and some things to do in the car. I picked out a few books while Anne looked for Michael and Jake.

We found them at separate ends of the store, but decided not to ask. We paid for everything using what money the Head Council had given Anne and me for the mission.

We went back to the van, ready for our first night on the road.