thirtysix

"Okay, you're worrying me. What's wrong?"

I turned the corner into the kitchen and gasped. Dropping what was in my hands to the floor.

"She didn't stick up for me." Justin whimpered.

My feet slowly carried me to my boyfriend, my eyes skimming over the new bruises on his neck.

"What happened?" whispers were all that could escape my mouth.

He forced out a cough, "I went to the apartment to get more of my stuff and Seth..."

"What the hell did Seth do to you?"

"He... he strangled me and my mom just yelled at him to stop, but she didn't do anything afterward." Justin was full on crying at this point, "She just said that the neighbor would call the cops, she didn't care that he was strangling me."

I instantly pulled him into a hug. My fingers moved through his hair in attempts to soothe him.

"You should've told me you were going over there." I choked out, "I would've gone with you."

"No. You would've gotten hurt too."

I pulled away from the hug, Justin's voice was still really hoarse. My thumbs softly ran over his bruised neck as I frowned at him.

"You need to rest your voice." I spoke, trying to change the topic.

"I know."

I glared at him, "Justin."

"I'm sorry."

"Justin!"

He put his hands up in surrender. I walked over to the freezer and pulled out a container of ice cream along with two spoons from the drawer.

"Why don't we watch a movie and eat this delicious ice cream to get our minds off of it?"

He nodded and walked over to the couch. We both sat down and covered ourselves with a blanket.

"I love you." I whispered, kissing his cheek.

A small smiled stretched across his face and he softly kissed me. I knew he was saying it back, but he was just following my wishes.

"We get to tell the whole school we're dating tomorrow." I blurted.

I felt him tense up beside me. My eyebrows knitted together in confusion as I looked over to him.

"Do you not want to?"

"I do." he croaked, "I just forgot."

I kissed his cheek once again.

"Good, 'cause I don't wanna do anything you don't want to."