Part 1: In a Darker Forest
Chapter 3

"Hey," Jen said slowly, having just walked over, "Did you just talk to the new guy?"

"Um... yeah," I said, nervously. Jen can get scary when it comes to guys. Or she used to be able to. "What of it?"

"Well, that means that-- that-- you saw him close up! The new guy!" Jen whisper-yelled. "Lentil! Come 'er!" she real-yelled. And Leena walked right over. Great, I thought, the terror twins have both arrived. "This girl talked to the new guy."

Leena squealed. "Do tell!"

"Look, it's not a big deal! I pulled crap in class and he congratulated me. Which, speaking of class, we have to get to English."

Jen and Len groaned, they were in guy mode, but contented with chattering in the hallways as they trailed after me to the English room. Thankfully, we had most of the same classes or at least, I would later be thankful, right then I was slightly annoyed.

"Oi! Avery!" a voice that I could now easily tell was Conner's.

"What is it, Conner?" I asked, nicely enough considering how frustrated I was at Jenny and Leena.

"You don't happen to know where the classroom for English is, do you?" he asked, walking alongside me.

"Yeah, that's our next class," I said, gesturing at Jlen (which is, of course, the latest of my many nicknames for them in guy mode), "Why don't you just follow us?"

"Great! Thanks a ton, Avery."

"Any time, any place." Jenny cleared her throats. "And these are Jenny, and Leena, two of my best friends."

"Hello," Conner said, turning to look at them. And the terror ensues, I inwardly moaned.

***

"He's sooo hot!" Leena said, fanning herself.

"Don't get your hopes up, girl, something tells me he's already into Avery," Jenny drawled.

"So? Avery doesn't like him, do ya Avery?" Len chirped.

"Hmm?" I said, gaining glares for my lack attention, "Oh, um, no." I resumed looking out at the water. School had finally ended and we had zero homework, mainly since it was the first day, and thus, with nothing to do, we went to our favorite hangout spot. There was a small river that ran through the woods surrounding our town and right there it was so calm. We had a tree house in a large oak beside it, that we often spent the night in, as it had beds and everything. Currently, though, we were just in the back of Jen's dark red truck with Leena's silver Bug and my black Prius alongside it. "Hey, can I have some more soda?" I asked.

"Sure," Jen said, tossing me a root beer from the stacks of six packs we had all stashed in our cars, "Lentil, you want some?"

"Hit me," she said, getting ready to catch. Jen threw a Pepsi and got herself a Dr. Pepper.

"Thanks," Leena and I said.

"I wish Winter was here," Jen said unexpectedly, reminding all of us that our group shouldn't be a trio.

"Summer'll come along," I said bleakly.

"No, she won't you know Winter, Avery, she's as stubborn as hell!" Leena cried out.

We all quieted down and stared at the river, very careful to not see the box of Sprite cans right beside my A&W Root Beer ones.

A twig snapped causing me to turn and look as Conner walked into our clearing.

})i({
I know, I know, the plot's predicable. Help me fix it, then. Comment, vote, whatever! Also remember this scene it becomes important in Part 2! Yes, there is a Part 2. I'm almost half way through with it, but I have a BIIIIIT of writer's block due to fight scenes. I always feel like I can communicate it right and it ends up seeming choppy... Advice?