IX | Changes

She didn't want me to leave

And I didn't.

I couldn't.

After telling Betty a million times over and over again that Archie isn't the one, she fell asleep on my chest with her nose in the air and the tears staining her cheeks for me to wipe.

That was the weekend for me.

My mother insisted I stay with Betty, telling me that next weekend she would spend time with me and I took her up on that.

It was honestly really depressing, but I'll have to bear through it for my girl until or if she ever feels better.

She deserves to.

I pull a book for that grueling Biology class out before a hand slams the locker door shut pass my face and I swiftly turn around to see Archie in my midst.

"Veronica," Archie is panting as if he ran the entire way to school. It would't really surprise me if he did.

"If it isn't Riverdale's hottest heartbreaker, Archie Andrews. What do you want?"

"Your help."

"Why should I help you? You broke Betty's heart you ass."

"She's not here today. I need to know if she's okay."

"She hasn't learned how to not let sadness succumb over her yet. She's taking PTO from you."

Archie's forehead scrunches up in the utmost confusion and he even begins to mutter some gibberish, trying to figure out what the most three letter abbreviation means.

"Personal Time Off. Now go away."

"But Betty has never missed a day of schoo-"

"You broke her Archie. You can't go around thinking that everything is going to be fine and dandy."

"I told her the truth. Honesty is better than lies. Is that how you live?"

I walk down the dreadful halls with Archie fast on my heels, filing into the nearly empty Biology class before I take my seat, forgetting it was him who was seated beside me.

"You don't understand Veronica. I love Betty with every ounce in me, but I am not in love with her. And that doesn't make me a bad guy. But Betty never misses a day of school and I didn't even see her this morning leave her house. I'm worried."