Chapter 7 - Montage

"I love being a redhead. It's a rare thing, so I think there's a bond between redheads."

 - Laura Prepon

I woke up the next morning and was immediately bombarded with a stream of thoughts battling it out in my brain.

To continue... Or not to continue?

I'd felt so sure last night that I'd never again have contact with Melissa, Scarlett, Felicity, Bianca or Lola. I'd told myself that it was impossible - there was no way they'd want to be friends with me after what they'd seen. But now... Seeing their names under my 'Friends' list touched me the last place I wanted it to. My heart.

I've never been into all that sentimental crap. God knows I've banned Valentine's Day in my office because usually by 10am I felt like throwing up every goddammed February 14th, what with all the cheesy declarations of love and the mass-production of sentimentality. But I felt drawn to these women. I had to bring them back into my lives somehow... Didn't I?

No.

Don't be a Gina, I reminded myself, then said it out loud, to reassure myself. "I'm not a Gina. I won't be a Gina. Right, Gismo?"

My cat didn't respond (as usual) but seemed to nod in agreement. Either that or I was just trying to convince myself.

"Well, I'm not. And here's the proof," I said aloud, sending a text to my 'Friends' group:

Take as much time off work as you can. Make your excuses to your families. Pack your bags and meet me on Monday outside my apartment. We're going on a road trip...

No going back now. I'd officially set my crazy plan into action - I just hoped to God it would work.

***

The rest of the morning I spent planning, finalising the details of my trip, stopping every now and again to check my phone in hope that someone would reply. It took only a couple of hours for the excitement to set in.

Scarlett: YES! I can't believe we're doing this! I'll see you on Monday, Ariel! xxx

Melissa: I'm in, Ariel. I'm so glad you decided to give us another chance ;)

Felicity: I think I just lost my last ounce of common sense because I'm officially agreeing to this trip.

Bianca: Got over your hissy fit then? Thought the addition of our phone numbers might persuade you ;) I'm so in, but I think we really need to meet up at some point before Monday to discuss logistics. You don't need to plan this all alone, you know.

Lola: Prepare yourselves, ladies, because Lola Lollipop is officially on board. First stop: Revenge!!!

Nothing could stop the large grin that spread across my face at reading those messages. Yes, I was definitely going soft. I decided to text them back.

Hey guys, you would not believe how happy I am to see you're all on board. I agree with Bianca, we need to meet up before Monday to discuss how this is all going to work. Shall we say tomorrow, Saturday? I think we should all be free then. Ariel

The next few texts which invaded my phone were ones of enthusiastic agreement. I shook my head in bewilderment at the overwhelming response I'd had.

***

The next day, I was awaiting the girls' arrival, this time not as nervously as I had on Saturday. One by one, Bianca, Scarlett, Lola, Melissa and Felicity filed in, and they greeted me excitedly. It seemed the events of the other day were behind us. I motioned for them all to sit, and plans began.