14. Angel's Light

• Dedicated to ALL MY GORGEOUS READERS!

~The Cabins~

The eight found themselves in the middle of the cabins, just as the sun began its decent through the sky, bathing the camp in a beautiful golden glow.

Cupid smirked at them, just a little, as they stumbled around, blinded by the sudden light after a day in darkness.

‘Oh man,’ Grover moaned, clutching at his stomach. ‘Never again.’

‘Oh my gods, WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN!?’

Nico stormed up to them, looking scarily angry for a thirteen year old kid. His dark eyes flashed murderously.

‘Uh, busy?’ Grover squeaked.

‘The whole camps out searching for you all!’ Nico shouted. ‘Everyone’s worrying out of their minds!’

‘Aw, you were worried about us?’ Percy teased.

Nico’s cheeks flushed deep red, ‘No! I said the camp. I couldn’t care less.’

‘Uh huh,’ Jason muttered. Nico shot him a death look, then his eyes fell on the god of love, hovering behind the eight.

‘You,’ Nico growled, backing up. His hand rested on his stygian sword hilt.

‘Me,’ Cupid agreed.

‘What are you doing here?’ Nico spat, drawing his sword and levelling it before the god.

‘There was a favour I needed from your-’ Cupid’s lips curled unpleasantly, ‘friends.’

Nico barred his teeth dangerously, ready to charge the god of love and run him through.

‘Hey,’ Percy lay a hand on Nico’s shoulder and lowered his sword tip. Nico’s angry look faded just slightly and he sheathed his sword. ‘Cupid was just leaving.’

Cupid gave a mock bow, ‘Adios.’

He vanished in a flurry of red sparks.

Nico snarled, ‘I hate that guy.’

‘That much was obvious,’ Percy said. ‘But just cool it a little. No need to be so angry.’

Nico glowered at his shoes, not making eye contact. Jason watched him sympathetically.

‘Could you try a little harder,’ Percy pleaded. ‘Please.’

Nico sighed, ‘I’ll try.’

‘Good,’ Percy smiled and forced the young son of Hades to look him in the eye. ‘Because maybe you can join us for Valentine’s Day. Picnic down the beach.’

Nico’s face lit up, ‘Yeah! I mean, sure.’

‘Valentine’s Day is just as much about friendship as it is love,’ Annabeth said. ‘We’ve learnt an important lesson, don’t you think?’

‘You’ll still have to tell everyone where you went,’ Nico pointed out.

‘And we will,’ Percy nodded. ‘After we’ve has some to get over where we went.’

‘NICO!’

Leo came racing up the hill. His jeans were torn in several places and his face was smeared with grease. His hair flew out in all directions, his tool belt was crooked and his hair was on fire. Despite all that, he was grinning like crazy.

‘What?’ Nico demanded.

Leo puffed as he reached them, ‘I gotta-I need-oh gods. I need your help.’

‘With what?’ Nico frowned.

‘I gotta get somewhere,’ Leo said. ‘But I’ll need your son of Hades, shadow travel, death powers.’