The Bloodied Man

CHAPTER FIVE

THE BLOODIED MAN

Although I can hear, all my other senses are blurred. I cannot move, and I cannot open my eyes. It’s quite frightening actually.

I take that back. It’s terrifying.

But I can feel someone beside me. I can feel their skin on mine and I don’t recognize it.

I know what you’re thinking, how can I possibly recognize someone by their skin? But I can tell you this, when you spend a month with thirteen people locked in a big, circular room; you get to know most things about them. And you get to know their feeling, their scent, and their skin.

And I don’t recognize this person.

I also know that they’re awake, because they’re moving, and they’re struggling. They’re grunting and moaning as well, quite aggressively.

Like they’re tied up.

All of a sudden I’m urgent to wake up, to open my eyes. To see who this person beside me is, and to see where I am. Now the person is yelling.

“What do you want!?” It’s a man. His voice is booming.

“You won’t get away with this! I know who you are! I know I’m not the only one you’ve got in here! I heard you before! Talking about a girl! Is she part of your little scheme?” He keeps yelling. He’s got a strong English accent. I feel angered at his tone. And if I weren’t paralyzed and not also a prisoner, I might just get angry with him.

I hear thudding footsteps. They get closer and stop beside me. I’m expecting to hear a gunshot or the sound of blood splashing against me, but instead a woman’s voice sounds.

“Hush Mr. Moore… wouldn’t want you to wake up my other guests.” She says in a quiet, menacing voice. I hear the man snarl.

“I knew there where others, who are they? I should have known you were behind this.” He growls. I hear her crouch down.

“Now now William, no need to shout. Be a good boy and turn the volume down a notch.” She hushes him. I hear him grunt again, a struggled sound.

“Don’t speak to me like that.”

“Why not? It all seems pretty suited to me. Besides, I’m only doing a good deed. You used to love good deeds. I’m giving these people, freedom that people like you took away them.”

“What do you- no. Claudia don’t do this, it’s not safe. You can’t- innocent people will get hurt.”

“Innocent people? Huh- there are no innocent people William, and the people that will feel my pain deserve it. For locking away my daughter, for killing her. I will kill them. Her revenge will be sweet.” She whispers. I hear a gun being loaded.

“Killing will get you nowhere Claudia.”

“I’ll tell Max you said goodbye.”

“You leave Max out of this!”

“I won’t have to, he’ll come running. Looking for his precious little Daddy, just like his mother did. I knew I couldn’t kill you then. I had bigger plans.”

“You bitch.”

“That would be a whole lot more offensive if I didn’t have a gun and you didn’t have a bag over your head”

“Kill me, fine. But don’t touch my son.”

“You took my daughter!”

“You’re daughter was a convicted criminal.”

“My daughter was innocent!”

“You’re daughter was just like you, a complete and utter psychopa-“

My eyes open.

The gun goes off.

All I can see is blood.

And the woman.

Crying.

And the man’s dead body.

She pulls the bag off his head.

All I can look at are his cold blue eyes.

Lifeless.

“She’s awake. I repeat Bird is awake.” A man’s voice states from behind me. Claudia whips her head around. He eyes are red and teary, but fire burns inside of them.

“Make her sleep now.” She commands. I sharp pain stabs into my arm. My head swings around. A grey-haired man holds a needle in my arm.

I struggle.

But I lose all my senses just as quickly as I had gained them.

Black.

All I can see is black.

And this time, I hear nothing.