Book 3 Chapter 1: Don't Wanna Be All By My 'Elf' Anymore

Malfoy Manor was the same as it had been when I was last there. Same peacocks, same large rooms, same dreary atmosphere. I had guessed the only true difference would be the severe lack of Dobby running around. I was glad Dobby was free, but I had to admit that I'd miss the little guy. He was one of the few enjoyable things about spending the summer with the Malfoys.

Lucius hadn't spoken a word as he, Draco, and I walked the path to the front door of the manor, nor had he said anything as we entered the hall. The silence was soon broken when Narcissa saw the three of us enter the living room. Narcissa was probably the kindest of the Malfoys. Of course, she didn't seem fond of my mother, but she was courteous towards to me at least. We got along fine and hadn't had many arguments with each other. Narcissa was a haughty woman and often let others knew that she looked down on them, but at least she was smart enough not to argue against housemates who thought differently from her. We didn't exactly see eye to eye, but Narcissa was respectful enough to leave it be.

"Welcome home, Draco," Narcissa said, smiling warmly from her seat on the sofa, "How was your school year?"

"It was alright," Draco said with a shrug, throwing his things to the floor and sitting in a chair "but it would've been better if that blasted Heir had actually gotten rid of a few Mudbloods."

"Yeah, because mass murder always makes a school year more fun," I huffed, rolling my eyes. Not even a day into the summer and I already had to hear Draco's 'anyone who isn't Pureblood is scum' schtick. Why am I not surprised?

"It wouldn't have been a mass murder," Draco insisted with a smirk and a faraway look in his eyes as if he were imagining the sight of a basilisk obliterating Muggleborns, "It would have just been a little pest control, that's all."

"You have got to be kidding me," I groaned, slapping a hand to my forehead and rubbing it down my face in frustration, "You're talking about a basilisk killing innocent people like we're discussing taking care of a rat infestation!"

"I don't see a difference," Draco stated nonchalantly, "They're both vermin, after all."

"You can't be serious!" I sighed, "Why can't you get it through that thick skull of your's that Muggleborns are people too, you-"

"That's enough, Reinette," Narcissa warned. She rose up from her lounging position slightly, but she didn't get off the couch. She usually sided with Draco when arguments between him and I happened in her presence, so I wasn't surprised to hear her object. "You shouldn't insult Draco for stating his opinion. Besides, Draco does have a point; Hogwarts shouldn't allow such riffraff into its halls. It used to be a much more respectable school before it began housing such undeserving rabble."

"Muggleborns have just as much a right to go to Hogwarts as Purebloods and Half-bloods do!" I argued, feeling as if I had stated this a thousand times while in Malfoy Manor, "How is that so hard for you people to see?"

"Honestly, are we sure you're even a Malfoy?" Draco scoffed as he crossed his arms and shot me a disgusted look as if I had suggested we go out and torture innocent puppies. "No self-respecting Malfoy would say such rubbish. I'd rather die before hearing such things come out of my mouth."

"Do you get how stupid that sounds?" I demanded, feeling myself slowly losing my sanity. "What kind of-"

"Enough, you two," Lucius sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Must you argue after we've just returned home? There will be enough time for your silly squabbles during the next month."

"You mean the next two months," I replied. I didn't really care about what Lucius had said, but it felt oddly satisfying to correct him for a mix-up; even if the mistake was only something as simple as a few misspoken words. "Break runs until September 1st, remember?"