Playing Nurse

When they finished eating their leftovers, Joe used this time to drive the bus as Boss Man slept. The ride was silent. Maxx was reading an old comic book from 2008 while Fail Face was sleeping across his lap. Rebecca, on the other hand, was looking quite ill and having nausea spells.

Joe looked back in the mirror and decided to take the next exit to a rest stop, because nobody, and she meant nobody, vomits on her bus. Joe maneuvered the bus around abandoned cars and put the bus in park. Rebecca was the first to get off as she bolted to the nearest trash can.

Boss Man rushed to her aid. As Joe and Maxx stood bewildered, Boss Man held her hair and rubbed her back. Coco never got sick. Never.

"It's okay, you guys! I think what I ate isn't agreeing with me today." Coco said after recovering from the sudden impulse.

Joe nodded and pulled out her lock pick set and gave it to Maxx.

"Go wild kid," she said doing an area check to see if there were any zombies.

Maxx quickly picked the padlock and pulled out his umbrella for safety measures as he clutched his gun that was hanging from his side. Fail stood by his side, sniffing the air. She put her guard down and panted happily as she wagged her tail.

"All clear!" he yelled.

"Same here!" He heard his mother call from around the back of the building.

Joe and the others joined Maxx as they looted the place, Coco took this moment to slip into the bathroom. She had gone quiet for a while and Joe began to worry. She placed her ear by the door. She could hear sobs coming from the door and gurgling noises once more. She knocked on the door.

"Becca, are you okay in there?" She asked, worried about her best friend.

"Yeah, just trying to get this food poisoning out of my system," she replied, before getting sick once more.

"Food poisoning? You sound more like you're trying to throw up your stomach."

"I'm fine. I promise."

Joe went up to a drink machine and kicked it hard until a water bottle fell from the it. Joe smiled, this would make Coco feel a bit better. Maxx on the other hand was getting anxious and couldn't stop death gripping his umbrella. Joe looked at her son and sat down next to him.

"What's the matter, scrawny?" she said, playing with his hair.

"I'm worried about Aunt Becca. Is she going to be okay?" he asked, tears in his eyes.

"I'm sure she will be fine." Joe hugged her son and continued to play with his black locks.

"Rebecca, are you alright, dear?" James said to the bathroom door.

"James, come here, please." she said, unlocking the door.

Boss Man walked into the bathroom. Joe had the instinct to tell him that it was the women's bathroom, but then she remembered it's the zombie apocalypse, so who really gives a shit? A few minutes later, Boss Man emerged. He had a look of horror on his face, as if he'd just had to kill his mother (which, luckily, he didn't have to). He closed the door behind him and sank to the ground. He was in such a state of shock, he'd taken his sunglasses off, revealing the true nature of his expression. Boss Man stared blankly ahead of him, blinking occasionally.

"James, is Becca alright?" Joe asked hesitantly. He didn't answer. Maxxis began to cry. "Is she dead?" He continued to stare ahead, but he shook his head. Joe sighed with relief. "Is she infected?" He shook his head again. "So what's wrong with her?" Suddenly, Coco stepped out of the bathroom. Joe and Maxxis stood up.

"...What?" Coco asked obliviously.

"Are you okay?" Joe asked again.

"Yeah, completely fine. Why?"

"Well, your on-again-off-again boyfriend just came out like he walked in on his parents, so we thought you'd died or something."

"No, he's just shocked that someone could get so sick. Right, honey?" she nudged Boss Man.

"Huh? Oh, yeah. I'd never seen her that sick before," he replied. "It just scared me a little."

"But really, I'm alright. I think it's all out of my system now. Should we get a move on?"

"Yeah, I guess we should..." Joe was still weary of Coco when they left. Boss Man refused to speak, but Coco was just as chatty as she was before she'd gotten sick. Joe was suspicious, but she kept denying the one reoccurring thought she had. She just figured she'd have to keep a closer eye on the couple.