Chapter One: The Fight

Twenty Years Later

                                                                             The Fight

"Why did you even bother?" the man sneered, crossing his arms. Adrielle lifted her head. Flecker. Even his name sounded horrible. Flecker always found her at the worst times, always said the worst things. He made the last year of her life miserable. 

"What did you say?" 

He swiped his blond hair back. "Why did you take the test? Everyone knew you would fail! I mean, look at her!" He turned to his friend, who bobbed his head in agreement. 

"You're too skinny, too weak, to be a Pow Trize!" he said. Adrielle launched to her feet, tears blurring her eyes. Her fists shook.

"Take that back! I would be a great soldier - I am a great soldier!" She pointed a finger at his chest. She had had enough of his taunting, his snide comments during practice, and his loud chuckles as she walked from the training rooms. To him, she was the prey to his hunt, but after loosing what she had so desperately wanted ... nothing held Adrielle back. "I'll show you. Let's fight!"

The man bent down to her level. "Go home, little human." They stared, eye-to-eye.

"Fight me, elf."

"And when I win?" The corner of his mouth lifted, revealing a sharp tooth. Adrielle had always been attracted to elves, but Flecker was repulsive. Her nose wrinkled, finally showing her true feelings, not the careful mask of serentiy she was so accustomed to plastering on her features. 

"When I win," she said, "I get ... your shield." She glanced down at his magnificent shield, a white piece of artwork that represented air itself. Every member of the prestigious Pow Trize was given one; it was a mark of honor. People respected the Pow Trize; all her life, Adrielle had wanted to be a part of their ranks. When the day came, she failed to prove herself. 

Flecker ran his sharp, oval eyes over her body. "Then I get your virginity," he said. Adrielle paused. "Even if you do smell."

"Get witnesses, Flecker, and meet me behind Draddie's."

____________________________________________________________

 They circled each other with careful steps. Adrielle held her sword lightly, wiggling the thin blade in preparation. A crowd of quiet on-lookers, boys and girls no older than the fighters, stood in awe. A fight was rare. A fight with swords, even protected by magic, was rarer. 

"Afraid to come close?" she said. They were face-to-face, making tight circles in the alley. Shipment boxes lined the walls and children used them as stepping stools, though no owner stepped outside to see the commotion. 

"Waiting for you to run." He sprung forward, swinging his broad sword. It rushed through the air, clanging against her own. Her arms trembled. Strong! "You going to run now?"

"Never!" She slipped from under his attack, making a slice her own. They parried, back and forth, until sweat stained their uniforms and their breaths became gasps. A small flicker of doubt rushed through Adrielle. What if she didn't win?

Her next swing was her strongest, but her stance was weak. He tripped her, and the pair tumbled to the ground. Cold steel tickled her throat. "I. Win." Flecker said, then laughed. He stood, grinning down at her crumpled form. "Even if I wasn't Pow Trize, you could never beat an elf." Adrielle dragged her knees to her stomach and buried her head in her arms. He couldn't see her shame. "I'll see you tonight!"

He turned, holding a fist up in victory. The on-lookers cheered; money was exchanged. They eagerly forgot the young woman, hopelessly left on the ground.

"No," she said. "No!" Adrielle gripped her sword in a bout of fury. She whipped the blade up, slicing it deep into his calf. Muscle sliced easily, and blood poured from the wound. He gasped and fell, clutching his knee. 

"You will not have me!" She yanked the sword out, twisted it. He screamed in pain again. The crowd came to life. Hands dragged Adrielle away; someone yanked her hair and growled insults in her ear. "You deserve it, tree hugger!"

 Flecker stayed prone on the ground. A woman, clothed in a cascade of blue hovered over him and muttered incantations. Healing. Adrielle lashed out, elbowing a child. "Pow Trize reject all magical healing. Let him suffer!" she yelled over the crowd. The woman looked up, a scowl distorting her features. 

The woman called over a group of teens, whispering instructions and gesturing to the leg. Adrielle's struggles turned into a heated glare. "Let go of me!" The boys, distracted, loosened their hold and her arm came free. She scrambled until her back pressed against a large shipping crate and her legs splayed out in front of her.  

The healer rose to her feet, her light dress flickering about her knees. "Everyone, leave," she commanded. "There's nothing more to see, unless you want me to get the guards. The actual Pow Trize." The on-lookers shuffled away, casting curious glances back. The smallest of children scattered. Someone carried a limping, grumbling Flecker away. Adrielle propped herself up, breathing heavily.

The woman sank to the ground beside Adrielle. A blue spiral decorated her high forhead, accentuated by her high forehead and the tight, thick blonde braid that wound its way over her shoulder and to her waist. She glittered even under the overcast sky. Priestess. "What are you doing here?" Adrielle spat. "What do you want from me?" The girl was angry, and her body ached. She just wanted to be home.

"Am I not allowed to be here?" she said.

"Women of the Air don't come this way." They were the only two left the in wide alley, where stores piled extra stock and waste. It was a safe, clean place, but Adrielle always imagined the Women huddled before statues and murmuring prayers, not far away from the main streets.

"Well, I do," she said, her hand running over her head. "Do you need healing?"

"No." Awkward silence descended on the pair. She made to get up, her body aching with the pain. The woman gripped her arm, pulling her up. "I said I'm fine!" Adrielle yanked her arm free.

"Calm yourself!" she said. "How did you slice him. The swords were protected."

She shrugged. "Beats me." Adrielle would never admit she removed the spell at the last minute. 

"What is your name?"

"Does it matter?" She pulled out her shirt and wiped the blade along the fabric. It needed a good cleaning when she got home. She had to keep it in the best condition ... Sadness rushed over her. She failed her test, to become a Pow Trize. "Adrielle. My name is Adrielle."

"Adrielle Dockone, daughter of Bernard Dockone?" The woman sounded surprised, and she made to reach for her arm again. The girl moved away quickly.

She stilled, clutching her half-cleaned sword tight. Adrielle swung the weapon up and slid her foot back. "How do you know my father?" He was half a sea away and had been gone from Adrielle life since she ran away a year and a half ago. 

"You asked what I was doing here?" she said, refusing to answer her question. "I was sent to find you. I was heading to Dunnmold Street, where you live. It's good I found you now. You have to come to the Air Temple."

"I don't have to do anything." She was acting like a child, and she knew it. Stubborn Adrielle would not listen to this elf.  "I am going home." She shook the weapon again. "And you won't follow me. Hear?"

"I'm just a messenger." She put her delicate hands up and took a step back. "You'll end up there anyway. Just come." Adrielle flicked her sword down.

"You're lucky its suicide to touch a Woman of the Air. Otherwise you'd end up like Flecker." Adrielle took two steps back, her gaze never leaving the woman's wide-eyed stare. "I'm going. You're leaving." Once half a block separated the two, Adrielle spun on her heel and ran home.