37 || Into the Scorch

Your POV:

"Gally?" Thomas said and took a step towards the boy.

Teresa grabbed his arm, "Don't, he's been stung."

Gally's eyes were bloodshot and crazed; you could see tears glistening in them. He didn't want to do this; that much was clear. Something wasn't right here. His clothes were filthy rags and he was covered in dirt. On the side of his neck were the black, snake-like veins that you had seen too many times.

The hands which held the gun were shaking violently. "We can't leave," He growled.

"We did it Gally, we're out," Thomas said as calmly as he could, "We're free."

"Free?" Gally laughed without humour. "You think we're free out there? No. . . There's no escape from this place." Hands continuing to shake, Gally moved the gun upwards to point at Thomas.

"Gally, please stop," You begged, "Come with us. We can leave."

"You're not thinking straight." Thomas tried to remain calm but you could hear his voice wavering slightly.

"We can help you, please Gally. We were friends once," You continued to plead with the crazed boy before you. Newt tried to grab your arm and pull you back but you shook it off and took a small step forwards. "Put down the gun."

"I belong to the Maze," He said, angrily.

"You don't want to do this Gally, please put the gun down." Tears glistened in your eyes too as you witnessed what the Maze — what the Creators — had done to your friend.

"We all do." He pulled the trigger.

Everything happened too fast. Chuck yelled something and shoved Thomas aside. Newt pulled you back into his arms away from danger. Minho threw the spear he was clutching at Gally. Gladers panicked. You screamed as Gally collapsed to the ground. Newt pulled you back into his chest and held you there.

"Thomas," Chuck whispered.

You turned. A red stain was spreading slowly over the young boy's chest. Thomas grabbed him before he fell and lowered him to the ground. You collapsed to the ground beside them, gasping in panic.

"Look at me, look at me," Thomas cried in despair.

Chuck's body wouldn't stop shaking. "Thomas. . ." He raised his hand, clutched between his fingers was the little carved figure he had told you was for his parents.

Thomas shook his head violently, "No Chuck, you're going to give it to them yourself."

"Take it," Chuck begged and pressed it into Thomas' hand. "Thank you. . ." He struggled for breath.

Thomas panicked, "No, Chuck, no! Stay awake, stay awake."

You couldn't watch another friend die. You couldn't. What had all of you done to warrant such a miserable end?

Chuck let out one deep breath and was still.

"Chuck? Chuck, come on!" Thomas shouted in anguish. He shook the young boy's body, "Chuck! Wake up!"

He gave no response. He was gone.

Letting out a sob, you turned away and pressed your face into Newt's chest. He wrapped his arms around you and held you tight. The tears came then. Not just for Chuck, but for all the friends you had ever lost. Gally, Alby, Jeff. . . The list went on. You cried and you did not stop.

You could hear Thomas crying too. A bang echoed through the corridor. Removing your head from Newt's chest, you saw, through the blur of tears, men running into the facility, masks concealing their identity. They ushered all the distraught Gladers through the door from which they had just arrived.

Newt grabbed your hand and pulled you along with him. In the distance, you could still hear Thomas yelling Chuck's name. There was a helicopter waiting on the desert before you. As soon as you had all clambered on board, the blades began to spin as they prepared to carry you far away from this place.

As it rose, it kicked up sand, creating a whirlwind below you. The men, not saying a word, positioned themselves in the cramped space around you. One of your silent rescuers pulled off their mask, revealing a man with long brown hair and tired smile. "You guys all right?"

We stared at him in disbelief — whether it was because of the shock of seeing another person or the ludicrous question which he had asked, you did not know.

"Don't worry, you're safe now," He shouted over the noise from the helicopter as it rose higher and higher.

All Gladers clamoured to get a look out of the window. The vast Maze lay beneath you. All of you watched in amazement and disbelief. You had dreamt of this moment so many times before, now it was finally here.

"Relax kid," The man addressed Thomas, "Everything's gonna change."

You frowned, sure you had heard those words somewhere before. A moment later, you shook it off and disregarded it as a figment of your imagination. Instead you focused on the Maze below you, which, before now, had been your entire world.

You had escaped. You would never again set foot in the Maze. The place where so many of your friends has died. The place where you had been watched for over two years by scientists. The place you had been a prisoner.

You dried your eyes of tears. You would cry no more. WICKED, whoever they were, had taken too much from you already. You wouldn't let them take away your freedom.

Staring at the Maze corridors you had ran so many times, you took a deep breath. The helicopter sped on and soon the Maze was but a distant pinprick.

Leaning your head on Newt's shoulder, you grasped his hand and looked up at him. He smiled down at you and you couldn't help but smile faintly back.

The Maze was behind you. The world lay ahead. . .

THE END

~~~

Get ready for the epilogue!

Hope you enjoyed!

Please vote, comment and follow.

Thanks,
~Hellz-Yeah