Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I woke up as the sun was starting to rise. The beautiful orange and pink pushing the darkness back. Then it hit me. I was outside! “How did I get out here?” I thought. Then I had realized I wasn’t alone.

Three bodies were lying face down next to me. I put my arm out for support as I sat up and that’s when I realized the clothes on my back were shredded. “What the...” I whispered as if not to wake anyone. I crawled over to one of the bodies and poked it. I could tell that whoever it was wasn’t breathing. I finally worked up the courage and flipped the cold body over. The sight was nauseating. His shirt was ripped to pieces and his face and body were covered in cold blood. He had three long scratches raked along his chest and a chunk of his shoulder was missing. I jumped back and let out a blood curdling scream at the sight. Tears streamed down my face. I couldn’t bear to look at the other bodies and instinctively I started to flee.

I stumbled to my house and quickly but quietly opened the door. I took one more glance outside and shut the door carefully, not to disturb Shelby. I slowly tiptoed into the bathroom. Tears the size of raindrops ran down my face as many questions raced through my head. “Did I kill them? Did someone else kill them and leave me spared? Why did my clothes end up in shreds?  Will I go to jail?” I slowly walked over to the shower and with a shaky hand I turned on the hot misty water. I slowly stripped off what remained of my clothes and hopped into the shower.

The heat slowly relieved my achy muscles. As my mind slowly cleared, I decided to act like none of it happened. All the witnesses are dead. There is no evidence against me. I’ll just tell Shelby when I got home she had fallen asleep. I scrubbed the dried blood from my body and rubbed in my rose scented body wash. I stood there letting the warm water rush through my hair. I didn’t want to leave the shower. The warmth that kept me away from all the problems of the world but I knew I would need to get out. I knew the police would be coming soon.

I turned the knob and grabbed a fuzzy blue towel off the rack. I wrapped the towel around my chest and continued getting ready for the dreaded day to come. I headed to my room careful not to wake Shelby.

As I reached my dresser, I pulled out some old blue jeans and a blue frilly t-shirt. I my as well look good as the police question me. I grabbed the brush off my nightstand, and started brushing the knots out of my slippery hair. Then I heard a huge grumble. I was startled at first, than I realized it was my stomach. I hadn’t realized how hungry I was until then. I jogged downstairs for breakfast and decided to make breakfast in bed for Shelby.

I took a package of bacon from the freezer and tossed a few pieces on the stove. Suddenly I heard a creak behind me. I turned around expecting to see Shelby but to my surprise it was a man. He was tall and muscular. He had brown hair and was cleanly shaven. I quickly grabbed a knife lying on the counter and pointed it at the intruder. “What are you doing in my house?” I asked the intruder. “Kate, calm down. I’m here to help you.” He stated.

“How do you know my name?” I demanded.

“I know a lot of things Kate. I know your 16, I know you were drunk last night but most importantly I know what you are.”

“What are you talking about? I’m human just like anyone else.”

“No you aren’t Kate! You’re so much more!”

“What the Hell are you talking about?”

“You’re a were-wolf just like me.”

“Get out of my house you psycho!”

“Kate think about it! Your hair grows back fast after you cut it. You have crazy strength! Last night you changed. When those men attacked you the full moon was at its height! You had your first transformation into a were-wolf! The wolf inside you killed those horrible men!”

“No, a wild animal killed them not me!”

“You are the wild animal!”

          I heard a creak behind me and glanced over to see Shelby.

“Kate? Who are you talking to and why do you have a knife?” Shelby asked puzzled. I turned back to where the strange man had been but he had disappeared. “Shelby, stay there. There is someone in the house.” I said with a hint of fear in my voice. I took tiny baby steps towards the stairs glancing around the corners. I snuck up the stairs and lurked around watching for any signs of the man. When I finally cleared the rooms I let out a sigh of relief. “He’s gone.” I stated to Shelby. “Kate, what happened?” Shelby asked.

“Well I was cooking you breakfast and a strange man came out of nowhere and started telling me I wasn’t human. He was crazy.”

“Shouldn’t we call the police or mom and dad?”

“No. This isn’t anything serious. He’s gone now.”

I walked over to her and gave her a bear hug.

“You didn’t show up last night. I thought someone kidnapped you.” Shelby said hugging me back. “I’m just fine. When I got home you were asleep on the couch.” I said. I knew that little white lie would bite me in the butt sooner or later but I pushed that thought aside for now.