Black Curtain

(Amelia's POV)

I lived the most average life imaginable. I was a college student at my local university and that's what my life basically consisted of - waking up, getting ready, driving to school, learning, and then going back home to study, eat, go to sleep and repeat. 

My life was as mundane and boring as it sounded and my friends, they too, all led the same life.

My best friend, Alison, her and I were like two peas in a pod - always a package deal. Anything she wanted to do, I would go with her and vice versa. 

So that's how I ended up here - in the Staples Center, in Los Angeles, 278 miles away from home, on a Friday night, ripped away from my usual scheduled time of catching up on the latest Grey's Anatomy episode, and it was all to meet a pop star who Alison was absolutely obsessed with. Shawn Mendes.

Shawn was this kid who was actually only a year younger than us, who got famous off of the 6 second video app Vine in 2013 and ever since then Alison has been a massive fan of his. She didn't have enough money to afford his concert last year but this year she did and not only did my boy crazy best friend score tickets to his show, she got meet and greets and since Alison never goes anywhere without me, I had to be dragged along with her.

I mean free tickets to see and meet a pop star that literally has 20 million followers on Instagram, #1 singles and albums, and has girls chasing him everywhere just for a quick 2 second selfie, I mean what girl wouldn't want this lucky, extraordinary, incredible, once in a life time opportunity to meet him? Me, that's who.  

I really didn't care to be this far away from home, in a city that Alison and I did not know at all, surrounded by hungry teenage girls who I know would never get to see the light of day with this guy if it wasn't for these tickets. It was all just insanely hectic and I really wanted to leave. But being the loyal best friend that I am, I sucked it up and waited in line with Alison for 3 hours before the meet and greets even started.

I mean, don't get me wrong Shawn was talented and I could see why Alison loved him so much - but I just didn't get why she loved him so much. 

Alison couldn't keep still the entire time we were in line. If you didn't know the context of this situation and that she was about to meet her idol she's been waiting 4 years to meet, you would swear this girl was on crack - she was that bouncing off the walls crazy. She kept asking me about her appearance; if her shirt was creased, if her makeup was looking oily, if she had any stray hairs and I swear I've at least reassured her she looks as hot as a ghost pepper since the minute we left home.

I for one was not incredibly decked out like Ali was, I was wearing a casual outfit, but hot and trendy with my hair freshly dyed ash blonde and curled. 

Some lady came out, 3 hours in from us standing 4th in line, from behind the curtain and told us what was going to happen and that we were about to meet Shawn in just a few moments.

Ali became so pale at those words. I was worried this  girl was going to hit the deck, so I gave her some candy to pump up her blood sugar levels so hopefully she wouldn't faint on me. She got herself together and proceeded to walk in the line.

I stood behind her, scrolling through my phone trying not to get super pissy at all these screaming teenage girls who were getting all up in my bubble.

Finally, it was Alison's moment of truth and she walked through the black curtain that stood between her and the "love of her life". What felt like only after a few seconds, I was told to come through that black curtain. And there he was.