Raging Hormones

Sept. 25, 2012

Mom kept talking about how her cousins' kids need foster parents. The more she talked about it, the more excited I got, thinking about having a roommate and meet cousins I never had before. Of course they are adopted but they are still family. I loved the thought of having another girl in the house. I honestly don't know what made them decide to do foster care though. I mean, they have never mentioned it before. Or at least I don't think I've ever heard them bring the topic up.

Mom was strict. I knew she was angered when the light green shade of her eyes became a grassy green. She was hard to come by. That all changed when they came.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Journal Entry

Oct. 10, 2012

Foster?

My mom brought foster kids, which now she's "Foster Mom," they live with us. They may stay the rest of the year and possibly some-what longer =T . It's cool though and guess why? They're family! Nathan's 14 and Delilah is 16. I have to keep this entry short because I have school tomorrow. I will write after school though. Goodnight. :)

Jo Humphrey

10:20 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

When I got home from school, the air was still. It was cool out with the warmth of the sun. I ran to the door as soon as the bus dropped me off only to find Curt, my step dad standing there. "What's your hurry?" He smirk. "Are they here yet?" I asked, avoiding his question. "No, do you see them?" He teased. Rolling my eyes, I let a small smile grow on my face and walked to my room. I decided to just do homework and listen to music for awhile.

*************

About 3 hours had passed, without me noticing, when I heard a truck door slam. I looked up, shut my book, clicked off my music, and quickly glanced at the room one last time before running to the window. Just to be sure and make a good first impression, I took a fast look in the mirror as I passed by, to be sure my hair and makeup were in tacked and decent. I saw a girl with Carmel colored hair that was put into a pony tail. She was a bit shorter than mom and wore skinny jeans with tall brown boots that had buckling detail on the sides. Mom came around the side of the truck. She was holding a big cardboard box and so was a really tall guy walking behind her. Wait a minute. I thought. Doing a double take, my eyes lit up. He was really tall and tan. His hair was a shade between gray a brown. Eww, wait. Cousin. Ugh! What was I doing? I tried to convince myself I wasn't checking him out, but that's a lie.

Mamma's cousin, Janice, adopted them when they were little. When Delilah hit about 14 years old, she was kind of labeled as a "rebellious child" so Janice sent her and Nathan to live with her previous husband, whom was also their adoptive father. For two years they had been abused by him, but no one knew that. They sent them to counseling and found out Delilah was sexually assaulted by him, or so she says. Nathan and Delilah were both sent to a foster family, which these people had more money than they knew what to do with. They own a mattress company. Huh. What are the odds of that? DHS felt that it be necessary for them to live with family and, well, we're family. Nathan was always drug around by Delilah. Where ever she went for her bad behavior, he had to go too. After us, that all changed.

Once they got about half way to the door I noticed his big brown eyes. Sparkling back into mine, but only when he looked up for a second. Oh my gosh! Ugh! COUSINS! I haven't even met him.. I was disgusted with myself.

I opened the door, so that they could enter with a little more ease due to their full hands. Mom winked at me as she walked in. "Jonanna, this is Delilah and this is Nathan." Mom introduced us. I grabbed Delilah's box and motioned her to our bedroom. As I reached my door, I heard Nathan's deep voice telling my mom something. "I have bad grades, see." A smile appeared on moms face, "Ooh, man, I can see that!" She remarked in a sarcastic tone, looking back at the wrinkly report card. Hmmm. Funny and cute.. I thought. Oh, how I wish he weren't my cousin, even if it's just by adoption...

I followed Delilah into my room and we began to unpack her clothes. We talked a little but for the most part it was the awkward silence that normally occurs when you first meet someone. She dug out her box of books and papers. She reached in and pulled out a proof picture form from school. My first thought was: Is she showing it to me? She motioned in my direction. What is it? A picture of.... "This is," A picture of her? What?! I began to grow impatient. ",my brother." she finally continued, "Look how dark he is!" She noted with a wink. Wait! Can she tell I like him!? OMG!