Rough Times

*alarm sounds*

There was a heaviness in my eyes caused from the late night I had from being distracted every five minutes from my homework.  No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get Ash out of my head. finally when I fell asleep around 12 my thoughts of him drifted away. The last time I fell asleep that late on a school night, I got my appendix out and didn't go to school for weeks.

 When I finally got up, I pressed the off button on the alarm and walked over to the mirror.  I was shocked when I saw my reflection. Baggy, red eyes looked at me with annoyance.  My tired body was telling me to climb back into my warm bed and fall back asleep.  Although it was tempting, I couldn't miss a day of school. So far I have had a perfect attendance record and I have no intention of ruining my streak.

Of all the days to look gross, today was the last day I wanted to look like this.  Hoping to hide my swollen and red eyes, I put a some makeup on.  This time I add some blush and eye shadow to the mix.  When I put my blazer on I, for the first time in my whole high school career, regretted attending a private school with dreadful looking uniforms.  The only little fashion you got to pick was the scarf, or for boys, a tie. 

I quickly finished getting ready and ran out to the car where my mom was waiting for me.

......

 "Wow want some face with that makeup Kim?" Kristen asked as she met up with Bethany and I in the library.

"Shut up Kris, I think its cute Kim is trying to show off for her crush." Bethany snickered to herself.

"You all suck, I looked awful this morning because I couldn't fall asleep, thank you very much."

We all just sat there talking for the last five minutes before school start.  The day was just as boring as ever, if not more.  The only class I cared about was algebra, even though my subconscious was yelling at me the whole time I tried to think of ways to talk to Ash if he sat by me again. 

Finally, algebra came and my excitement was obvious to everyone.  However my  deep grin turned into a grimace.  Ash was sitting no where near me.  I would sit next to him but I always sit in the same seat every class and it wouldn't go unnoticed if I suddenly changed seats.  From the beginning of the school year I made myself sit in the front row so I would never get distracted by what someone else was doing. 

As I sat down at my desk I took a quick glace at Ash and to my horror he saw me look at him.  I turned around in total embarrassment.  I couldn't think of anything that could make this moment any worse, but because my life is so cliché, it did.  A test was put in front of me.  I stared at it with complete shock.  I had completely forgotten to study because I was too busy thinking about a boy.  My one rule I made to myself, no boys will get in the way of my grades, I just broke.

....

I tried my hardest not to look ashamed as I past in my test.  I sat in my seat and knew I had failed.  What will my father think, what will he do.  My grades have never been an issue and I don't know what to expect.  This is all Ash's fault.  Once again, even in my anger I always found myself thinking about him. 

What felt like forever, the last ten minutes of class ended and I bolted out of the class. Mr. Vention, or as everyone calls him, Mr. V, always has the grades put on an online website for parents to see.  I knew my father would see the grade before I even get home.     

I met up with Kris and Beth like usual and we all went to practice.  Part of me was hoping Ash would find me again and talk to me but then the other half, the rational half, told me he wasn't coming.  Beth and Kris saw something was wrong and made sure to make no jokes.