Cadenza Espressivo

La Douleur Exquise

~seikiunne11

It was a chilly morning; something you'd rarely expect during summertime. The sun was shining bright in the cloudless sky but the wind was cooler than usual. I walked to the middle of a park, the biggest I’ve seen in my life. It had a man-made lake in the middle, the brick pathway around it, and several benches and lampposts alternately. I sat on an iron bench as I watched people do their morning rituals: jogging, walking their dogs, while some were on their way to work. It’s a scene I only see in the movies but now it’s before my eyes and beneath my feet.

 Obviously I am very new here. I actually flew in just before daybreak! I was half scared to be alone in a foreign place, but this was the one and only chance I would never allow to miss. This was the first and only chance I would get to meet him.

Him! That guy I’ve been talking with for over a year! That guy I’ve never actually met but seem to know all of me, all that is within me.

I sigh inwardly, over-thinking what to say and do once he is in front of me. Should I stand? Say hi or hello? Or scream at the top of my lungs because I waited so long and flew a thousand miles just to see him. Well, it wasn’t entirely just for him. I was actually there for work. His place was still hours away from where I was. But I was already there, why shouldn’t I meet him? I might never have the chance again! He did invite me to come over; he just couldn’t go to where I was because he was too busy. Instead, he suggested I take a vacation after work and it was all on him. How could I resist? But unfortunately, I could only stay for a day. I have responsibilities as well to return to.

I tried fixing my stubborn hair, of all days why did it have to look like a lion’s mane today. I kept rubbing my face so I’d look flushing and fresh, not a graying zombie because I didn’t sleep. I planned to bring or buy something for him, just a token for a first meeting. I was hoping I could hide somewhere and surprise him, so I’d see him first. I wished I could surprise him some way, I just didn’t know how.

I have this jinx that almost all my plans are doomed to fail. I was buried deep in my thoughts that I never realized someone was already sitting beside me. And he was smiling strangely at me. Not the creepy looking smile though; it was bewitching. His eyes stared into mine so deep, as if he was looking into my soul. The sunlight made the color of his eyes so light I couldn’t recognize its true color. Like in all pictures of him that I’ve seen: his lips, that smile, it was what entranced me. It was indeed HIM! His hair looked more ruffled in person. I have this inexplicable urge to run my fingers though his hair. Even while sitting down, he was indeed taller than me. I think I looked stupid gaping at him for so long that he laughed, reached out his hand with those elegantly long fingers, and tapped my chin up to close my mouth.

“Oh my…”

“Stop gaping. Yes it’s me. I’m not an apparition. Welcome to my city!”

His smile was so angelic I doubted if I was still alive. I had to pinch his cheek.

“Yes it’s me. Should I dump you in the lake to show you everything’s real?”

“Wha- you’re a jerk in person?!” I gasped in disbelief.

“Unless you require me to,” he laughed. “I’m joking of course!”

My senses might’ve been disabled because of his presence, because I was still gaping at him.

“I know, you’re hungry, that’s why your facial expression still isn’t changing.” He then took out something from his bag, “I brought you breakfast.” He then passed me cling wrapped sandwiches.