jhgggggggggggggg

From time to time, students ask the question, "Why study Philosophy?" The answer, of course, is because Philosophy is very interesting. (I would say that it is far more interesting than anything else one could study, but that would just cause other academics to get all excited, and there are few things more unseemly than an excited, envious academic.)

There is, however, another question that one might reasonably intend to ask by the question, "Why study Philosophy?" That question is probably, "What reasons are there, beyond the fact that Philosophy is very interesting, for studying Philosophy?" One reason is that if you study Philosophy, then you increase your chances of getting a job like mine. I have a pleasant work environment, get to discuss interesting things with very intelligent people, and get paid to be a philosopher.

"But," you ask, rather impatiently, "beyond that and beyond the fact that it is very interesting--perhaps even more interesting than anything else, what reasons might there be for studying Philosophy?" In an effort to help you understand what some of those reasons might be--and it is worth noting that there are a great many, here are some links to web sites that address this very question:

As for the question, "What bread does Philosophy make?," the first thing to note is that bakers bake bread. Some philosophers bake bread--I've even baked bread and have enjoyed both the process and the product--but it's not the job of Philosophy to bake bread. Of course, the real question, is what, of practical value, does Philosophy produce? Good question.

It's a good question, for me at least, in part because it has a great answer. The answer is "plenty." All of natural science, I would argue, started with Philosophy. Anthropology, Political Science, Economics, Psychology, and Linguistics all owe much of their existence and shape to Philosophy. (It's difficult to say what similar "bread" is being baked by Philosophy today, but I suspect that it has always been difficult to say what of this sort Philosophy is baking.)

Logicians, philosophers who specialize in logic, have made contributions to Mathematics and the related area of Computer Science. (And, of course, you wouldn't be reading this as you are now, were it not for those contributions.) Philosophers of Mind play a crucial role in the ongoing development of Cognitive Science.

I am just getting started. Think of the lawyers and politicians who have majored in Philosophy. The American Constitution owes a great deal to the Philosophy of John Locke.

Philosophy produces people who can think clearly and systematically, read and process difficult prose, evaluate reasons given for conclusions, and state clearly their own reasons for their conclusions. Even the most "practical" areas have a crucial need for such people.

Bread is really just small potatoes compared to what Philosophy produces.

As for me--personally, I am sticking with my first answer. It has at least the advantage of explaining why, exactly, I study Philosophy.

From Appleton Post-Crescent Column:

Zach Fannin column: Studying philosophy opens whole new world

MAY 31, 2009

So, why study philosophy? Many of my peers are bewildered by what I've chosen to study, seeing it as something archaic and utterly useless in the real world. They believe the subject is intriguing, but will get me nowhere fast.

I'd like to argue that it's instead the most valuable subject to study at the undergraduate level.

I take philosophy classes because they actually make me think. Crazy, I know, but bear with me.

Many of my peers have taken philosophy classes, assuming they'll be an easy A. Not the case, as they quickly learn there's more to it than expressing your opinion.