Discovery

Chapter Two

"It soon became obvious that we were but on the threshold of the discovery."

-Howard Carter

Clemy

I ran away from the strange boy. Who runs after someone to know what they were singing? I kept running till I reached the small cabin. I climbed up the stairs to my room and opened my door. There, in the chair by the window, was my brother Seph, asleep. He always went to sleep there when I went on my little trips to wait for me. Especially right now during the summer.

I was the first Seph had trusted with his secret, him being a werewolf, after our parents died in a fire six years ago when I was eight and Seph was twelve. Then again he kind of had to. There was no way he could keep it a secret.               '

 I walked over to him and nudge him awake. He slowly opened his eyes and looked at me, then at the clock. “You were gone a long time tonight.” When he sees my worried look he asked, “What’s up?”

“I saw someone,” I told him. He looked at me with alarm.

“Did they see you? Did they follow you?” he got up and looked out the window.

“Yes. No.”

“What’s that supposed to mean.” He was really freaked out now.

“Yes to the first, no to the second. Well at least I don’t think he followed me.”

“Izsabel, you have to be careful when were out there!” he let out an exasperated sigh. When he used my first name and not the nickname he usually used, I could tell he was really upset. “We should go stay at Ben and Lyla’s, at least for a while.” Ben was one of Seph’s best friends and Lyla was his wife. Both were werewolves.

He was right, of course, we should go. “Ok,” I said. “When should we go?”

“Let’s leave at dawn,” so my brother and I packed up a few things. I packed a few books, my journal, a change of clothes and my doll from our mother. Along with his clothes, Seph packed a knife and our father’s journal, the only thing that survived the fire.

It was soon light outside and we took off into the woods. Seph, as a wolf, and me riding his back like he was a giant horse.

∞∞∞

As we walked up to the cabin we heard shouting. Inside the whole pack was there, Ben with Lyla, Nick, and Andi.  When we walked in the dining room, they all went silent and looked at me. “What’s going on?” I asked.

Ben looked at Seph, “You didn’t tell her?”

“Tell me what?” I asked.

Seph looked at me and said, “I didn’t want to worry you.”

“Tell me what?” I said my voice rising.

Andi looked irritated which is rare. “Just tell her, she’s not a little kid anymore.”

Seph sighed, “Alright. There was a little incident last night. We were out hunting and we heard screaming. It was a boy, a local boy. He was being attacked by a wolf, so we scared it off. I walked over to him, but he was dead. His man, who I assume was his dad, came running, having heard his screams, with his gun at the ready. He saw me and looked at my eyes.” He stopped here. When the pack shifted their eyes stayed the same. The man saw human eyes. “He screamed and was about to shoot at me, so I ran.”                     

The room was silent for a while. “So he saw your eyes, that doesn’t mean he knows,” I said.

“It was the man who was at the fire the night Mom and Dad died.” The night Mom and Dad was the first time Seph changed.