The Royal Mystery Man Stepped Into the Ballroom (Chapter 1)

THE ROYAL MYSTERY MAN STEPPED INTO THE BALLROOM (Chapter 1)

(Please Comment! This is the beginning of the first story I have ever written so tell me what you think! Should I keep going? Give me ideas on where to go from here. I had some pretty good ideas, but help never hurt anyone... so PLEASE comment! Thanks 8-))

<< Alice's Point of View >>

1615 - London, England

I stepped out of the carriage and onto a red carpet. My breath caught in my throat. This was the first time I had ever stepped foot in London - the big city. Was I dreaming?

I do not think I was. My heart was beating way too fast beneath my bosom to be dreaming. Surely if I was dreaming I would have woken to my rapid pulse? I pinched myself lightly to check and see if I was or not, but apparently this was not a dream. I flinched. My arm stung. I must have pinched myself a little too hard. This confirmed that I really was here in London, England. A full half a days drive from my home in Hertfordshire.

This was not the wisest choice I had ever made, but it was well worth the journey. Tomorrow I would have some major explaining to do, if I am caught. My father would not be pleased to find his daughter gone late into the hours of the evening without letting him know. Especially when I was supposed to be staying over at a close friends house for the evening and not in London. It was very scandalous of me to have left home for so many hours late into the evening, but I convinced myself I was perfectly safe. My adventurous side agreed with me.

Looking up at the beautiful house now, I knew that there was no going back. The house itself was bigger than anything I had ever seen in my entire life; more like a mansion than a house. It was simply magnificent. There were intricate designs in the white stone that made up the walls, which glistened in the moonlight. There were torches lit all along the stoney driveway, illuminating the darkness of the night.

As I turned around, to face away from the house, I saw a huge fountain in the shape of a brave knight that seemed to catch every eye around. It looked to be made of pure gold and the knight himself looked too handsome to be true. Turning back around to face the house, I could see a marble staircase that led up to a grand entryway.

The house looked very warm and inviting. I could not wait to go inside. How could anyone afford a place like this unless they were from the first class and extremely wealthy or they came from a royal family with a lot of money? I heard people gossiping that it was the later, but nobody knew for sure. This place must have cost a fortune.

You see, this house, or better yet - mansion, was on a hillside that looked down upon all of London and nobody has ever been in the house before. This is why everyone was so excited about the ball, because they wanted to see what was inside. What luxuries would be in a place that probably costs more than I may ever see in an entire lifetime?

All I know is that almost everyone in the surrounding towns and cities got invited to this ball for a birthday celebration, which includes my family. Mostly people of the upper class get invited to these sorts of events and because my father worked for the Law my family and I get invited to balls all of the time, but I never get to go. My parents know I get in trouble wherever I go, so they stopped me from going tonight, but I snuck out when they left the house for the evening. How could I let the chance of a lifetime pass me by? My parents were not even home.

There was a 'Mystery' Man, apparently, that was to be expected tonight and the best catch of the season. Rumors claim he is a prince, but I do not believe it. He was the sole topic on everybody's tongue. I do not think I have ever met the man they speak of, but I hope I get to meet him tonight. I may be wealthy, because of my family, but that does not mean I get cooped up in the house all day.