Chapter 13

Alex waited behind the library in the dark, listening for footsteps to indicate that someone was approaching.

He heard nothing, and so when Vasiliki tapped him on the shoulder, he started, spinning to face her.

She stood there, illuminated only by the moonlight, Daedalos at her side, smiling at him.

He sighed. “Don’t sneak up on me like that.” He murmured.

Vasiliki shrugged.

Her bow was slung over her shoulder, and a pouch hung from her belt. Several different types of knives were strapped to her belt, their bone hilts and bronze blades gleaming softly in the moon’s reflective rays.

She gave him a brief kiss on the mouth.

Daedalos raised an eyebrow. “No wonder you two have to run.” He murmured.

Vasiliki smiled sadly. “Come on. No talking until we are far away from the village. If we are caught, we will be in trouble.”

They nodded, and began to creep out of the village.

The edge of the jungle was in sight. They crept softly to the tree line, moving slowly through the shadows to avoid notice should anyone happen to be awake.

Just as they were getting into the forest, Alex let out a cry as two people tackled him. Others tackled Daedalos and Vasiliki.

Alex shouted as they rammed his head into the ground, and then fell silent when everything went black.

***

Vasiliki moaned, sitting up.

She probed the bruise on her temple, wincing as pain shot through her head. “Ah…” She gasped, gritting her teeth.

Her mother walked in, eyes hard and unsympathetic. “You are in a lot of trouble.”

Vasiliki didn’t look at her. “What’s going to happen to me?”

Kyrene cocked her head. “I don’t know yet for sure.” Her voice was soft. “But it isn’t going to be good.” She sighed, sitting down on the edge of the bed and taking Vasiliki’s hand between hers. “Why did you do it? You know that helping a man is forbidden… But helping two and helping them escape? Vasiliki, why would you do that?”

Vasiliki looked down, her face hard. “Because I was sick of living here with you. And because I love Alex. I care about my brother too, and I’m not going to ignore either of them just because you and the rest of the tribe are sick in the head. Love is a beautiful thing, even between a man and a woman – especially then. And you would take that away from me. But I won’t let you.”

Her mother shook her head. “You can’t do anything about it.”

Vasiliki didn’t respond. “So… What will it be for Alex then? A mysterious disappearance? A public execution? Exile? Starvation? Well? Or maybe you’ll torture him in front of me just to teach me not to love.” Vasiliki’s voice was bitter but soft.

Her mother looked away. “He’ll be publicly flogged.” She bit her lip. “And the tribe wants to have him and your… brother… publicly executed. They want you flogged and exiled. Despite the fact that you’re the only heir to the throne.”

“What if we made it easy for you? What if you sent us out into the wilderness and if we ever returned, you could kill us for breaking the agreement?” Vasiliki whispered. “I… I’ve never begged you for anything, Mother… But for Alex’s sake… I beg of you… Please don’t kill them. Stop the tribe. Send us out into the wilderness, but don’t kill them.”

Tears began flowing down her cheeks, and Kyrene turned away, unwilling to look at her daughter’s tears, which she viewed as a sign of weakness. “I can’t do that, Vasiliki. You of all people should understand why I cannot.”

Vasiliki shook her head. “No, I don’t. I’m tired of being this. I don’t want to be the princess of the Praelia anymore. Not when it involves harming those I care most about in the world.”

“Well, maybe you don’t get a choice!” Her mother snapped. “You were born my daughter. You’ll stay that way!”

Vasiliki wiped her tears away. “No, I won’t. If you don’t let me, Alex, and Daedalos leave, I am going to invoke the clause in our law that makes it lawful for me to dissolve my bonds to you, and in so doing, become no longer Princess or daughter. And I will leave this place never to return.” She squared her shoulders, looking at her mother with steadfast resolve.

Her mother sighed. “You wouldn’t.”

“I would. And this time, I really will. Because you’re going to harm those I love this time. You’ve stepped over the line this time, Mother. I’m not going to roll over like a submissive dog and just obey whatever you say like I’ve been doing. I really am done.”

Kyrene whirled on her daughter. “After everything I’ve done for you, you’d turn your back on me? How dare you?”

“I dare because, for the first time in my life, I love a man, and it is the most wonderful feeling I’ve ever had. I will not give that up for anything or anyone. Not even for you.” Vasiliki whispered.

Her mother’s gaze fell to the floor. “Fine. If that’s how it will be.”

Vasiliki nodded. “It is. So will you help me get them out or not? You can say you didn’t know anything about it. I’ll make all the plans. All you have to do is give me the opportunities I need to get them out. You’ll be exonerated from it all.”

They both knew that she was being generous. Vasiliki controlled the situation now, and it was either cooperate or go down. Neither choice was really preferable in Kyrene’s eyes, but she couldn’t ignore the fact that her daughter had carefully maneuvered her up against a wall.

She sighed. “Fine. I’ll help you.” She shook her head. “I just… I still can’t believe that you’d let that man touch you at all, much less kiss you like that.”

Vasiliki shrugged. “It’s actually a very nice feeling. I like it when he kisses me. It might be different with someone else. But I trust Alex, and I know he won’t hurt me. I love him, and he loves me.”

Her mother nodded. “I see.” She didn’t, but she wasn’t about to admit that.

Vasiliki looked down at her hands, which were clasped in her lap now. “Thank you, Mother. This means everything to me.” She whispered.

Her mother gave another curt nod. “You’re welcome.” Then she swept out of the room without another word.

Vasiliki sat alone in her room, wondering if she’d just saved Alex, Daedalos, and – was it possible – herself.

She supposed that remained to be seen.