When Salt Doesn't Work

“So, Lucy! Your new movie is a smashing success, you have a new clothing line out, and your new album just went platinum! How does it feel to be at the top of the world?” The reporter smiled widely at me, and stuck a microphone in my face,

“Oh, I don’t know about that, Lina! You know what they say, there’s always someone above you, and there’s always someone below you,” I responded, smiling back at her.

“Ever the modest one, Lucy. So, where’s Louis? We heard he was going to be here today!” I plastered a fake smile to my face, and stifled a sigh. It always comes back to Louis. Just as I opened my mouth to reply, a soft hand grabbed my own. Startled, I turned to see a tall man smiling widely at the reporters.  

“There you are Louis! We were wondering where you were. I was just talking to your lovely girlfriend about her amazing success. She’s being modest and saying that she thinks there’s someone out there better than her, and I think that that’s impossible! What’s your opinion on the matter?” I clenched my jaw in annoyance. These reporters are always so pushy. It makes me wish I wasn’t famous sometimes. Actually, I think if I could go back in time, I would never have signed that record deal. Sure I’m at the top of the world, but this is all so….stupid. Everyone here is so insincere, including me I suppose.

“Oh, she’s just being modest! I can’t think of a single person out here that’s had more success in such a short period of time. But modesty is just one of the many reasons why I love my baby girl,” He said, looking at me with false affection, before mashing his silicon-filled lips on mine, while I tried to hide my hatred. It’s all fake love and affection between us.

“Aw! You two are so adorable! How long have you two been together?” The nosy reporter asked.

“Today’s actually our 1-year anniversary, Lina! As a matter of fact, I have a little something for Lucy…” My eyes widened in shock as I saw Louis pull a box out of his pocket, and get down on one knee.

“Lucy, will you marry me?” Louis asked me. From the outside, I’m sure he looked like a wonderful, loving boyfriend, but I saw the smirk teasing the edges of his mouth. I saw the twinkle in his eyes. He knew that I had to say yes. We were on national television, and by now, we had attracted a whole lot of attention. If I turned him down, then I would be known as the heartless woman who humiliated a poor, loving man. He had done this on purpose. He knew I was getting ready to dump him and his fake, leech-like ways. But that can’t happen, then his lifestyle wouldn’t be supported. He needed me, or rather my money and fame. Louis flourished under all the attention and the adoring fans and the paparazzi.

“Oh, my God! This is so adorable! Lucy, what do you say? How could you possibly turn him down?” The reporter squealed, her fake bleached locks bouncing.

“Wow, this is...This is so unexpected! Louis…I…” I bit my lip, trying to figure a way out of this, but judging by the look on everyone’s face, there was no acceptable answer except, “yes” or some variation thereof. Taking a deep breath, trying to control my fury, I blurted, “Yes”.  

Fuming on my couch, I watched the latest gossip on T.V. which, of course, was all about my perfect relationship, and how my marriage was going to be perfect. What utter nonsense. I refuse to marry Louis. Tired of all the garbage on the screen, I turned it off, and then stood up, and stalked up stairs to my bedroom. I was planning on just going to sleep, but an idea suddenly struck me when I saw my antique revolver that I kept as artwork. Louis can’t marry me if he’s dead. But a gun would be too noisy…I could pay someone to kill him, but I don’t know how long I have, and I have no idea where I would even find someone to do that. A sudden jarring distracted me from my thoughts.

“Oh! I’m so sorry Ms. Lucy!” One of my maids exclaimed. My lips curled into a smile as an idea struck me.

“Oh, it’s fine. Perfectly fine.” I said, a cruel undertone staining my words. The maid eyed me oddly, before hurrying off to do whatever she was doing. Turning on my heel, I floated down the stairs, my heavy heart made light by my infallible plan.

I glided from place to place, collecting the necessary things. I called a maid to the kitchen.

“Amie, my dear fiancée requested a cup of tea, do you think you could make him a cup?”

“Of course, ma’am! But my name is Annie,” She chirped, and began bustling around the kitchen, collecting the things to make tea.

“Oh, my mistake. Sorry. Thank you for making the tea. I swear, I think I could burn water if I tried!” I exclaimed. The maid giggled. Just as the maid was finishing the tea, I suddenly exclaimed,

“Oh! I forgot! He said he wanted some lemon as well,” I said apologetically.

“Oh no problem ma’am, I’ll just go grab one out of the pantry! Just a moment,” The maid quickly traipsed into the pantry to search for the lemons. I smirked as I thought of all the lemons that now resided outside in a garbage can. Lifting the top of the pot of tea, I poured in the contents of the little bottle that had been hidden in my pocket. Just as I set the top back on, the maid came back out of the pantry,

“I’m sorry ma’am, it appears we’re all out lemons,” She regretfully said.

“Oh, I’m sure it will be fine. You can bring it up as it is. Here, give him this letter as well, please,” I replied. The maid took the letter and the tray and bounded out of the kitchen. Sitting back at the counter, I took out the box of chocolates I had received today. I popped one in my mouth, before noticing a letter taped to the bottom of the box. I opened the letter and started reading it. By the time I had reached the bottom, all the blood had drained from my face. I heard the scream of the maid. I heard the frantic pattering of footsteps, and I heard my fiancées body drop. But all I could think of was that letter. And the chocolate that I just ate.