Healing

Part two of Game Night (With a Surprise).

It'd been one month, three weeks and four days since that catastrophic turn of events in Alex and Maggie's life. They say time can heal most wounds, but how long does it take? Neither woman had done much healing in that last little bit, and that was causing a tremendous strain on their relationship.

Alex hadn't seen Maggie in over a week, and hadn't kissed her in over three. It hurt. It hurt a lot. But she had no clue how to fix it, nor did she have any clue how to fix herself. She'd been waking up with nightmares of that night every time she fell asleep, ever since that day.

The only thing Alex knew how to do was bury herself in work. She'd been taking on more and more tasks at the DEO, as well as going out on every mission possible, no matter how dangerous. Her life didn't have a purpose anymore, not without her child, and definitely not without Maggie.

Kara tried to help. Sometimes, she'd send her sister home early in hopes of her getting a good night's sleep, but the nightmares never went away. She also hoped that Maggie would be there, but that never turned out to be true either. Maggie also buried herself in work just as much, if not more, than Alex.

That day, Alex was basically falling asleep mid-briefing, Kara tried to send her home again. "Alex, please just go home."

"No, Kara. I'm fine."

"You aren't! Can't you see that you're destroying yourself? Alex, please. I love you so much."

"Kara. No."

"Alex. Yes."

Their banter continued for a while, until J'onn walked in, agreeing with Kara. "Agent Danvers, I know you're in pain. I lost my daughters, remember? But you feel as if you can't do anything. Go home, make yourself some tea. Watch a movie. Read a book. Whatever you do, just take care of yourself."

"Fine."

So Alex went home. She didn't think she'd be able to make herself feel any better, but she wanted to give it a try either way. If there was any chance she could feel better, she'd take it. This was torture.

But when Alex got home, something was different. For one thing, Maggie's shoes were at the door. And then there was the faint sniffling coming from the general direction of their bed. Alex ran into the bedroom, and saw Maggie laying face down, buried under a mountain of pillows and blankets.

"Maggie?"

"Go away, Alex." Her voice was strained and raspy, telling Alex that she'd been crying for a while now. "I can't do this right now."

Instead of listening, Alex crawled into the bed, right beside her. "What's wrong, babe?"

"Nothing!" Maggie snapped.

"Maggie, please."

"Fine. You want to know? Whatever, I'll tell you. When I was a teenager, I was pregnant. The baby was stillborn, just like ours. Her name was Jamie."

Alex didn't know what to say. Instead, she just wrapped her arms around her sobbing wife, and started crying with her. "I love you."

"I love you too, Danvers."

The two women stayed like that for another few hours, until they were both asleep. Neither one of them said anything, but instead just enjoyed each other's company.

When they woke up the next morning, neither one of them thought there was anything different. And there wasn't, really. Except for the fact that Alex hadn't waken up with nightmares, and Maggie didn't wake up in tears.

Because they were healing.

I made a fluffy-ish one shot! That's good, right?