Breathe

Yassi's POV

They have been together forever.

Their love story began when they first met as students of SGU. James and Nadine already knew each other since they worked together in James's first music video. So Bret, being James's best friend, was introduced.

Bret and Nadine became fast friends. I always saw them together, studying and doing prefect duties. They were compatible to each other. Both were popular, both were responsible and both were very kind.

In our second year, Bret confessed. And Nadine said yes. They had been inseparable since then and they did everything together— eating, studying and attending parties.

Both their families loved them, they shared mutual friends and eventually they received a project together. And their love team was warmly received by their fans. These led to more projects together.

Every single component of their lives revolved around each other. We were sure they would inevitably get married someday.

Everything could not be more perfect.

Bret loved Nadine so much. He took care of her so well. He was always there for her. He prioritizes her more than his work or studies.

Whenever Nadine was sick, Bret was always there to nurse her back to health. When Nadine was in trouble, Bret was there to save the day.

He was a prince every girl wishes for. A prince I wished for. But I knew I lost to my best friend.

Bret have everything planned. He planned on proposing right after Nadine's 23rd birthday.

He asked the squad for help. And of course, all of us gladly do so.

He wanted to propose in SGU's rooftop, where he confessed. So together with James, Sam, Kiana, Henz, Trish, Debbie, Mike and of course Bret, we decorated the school's rooftop.

Halfway through our preparations, Bret went to fetch Nadine from her shooting like he always does.

We heard Bret's car return just as we finished the last details.

We hid at our respective places ready to let out the fireflies once Nadine said yes. I was by the fire exit.

Nadine and Bret arrived. I saw them talking and then Bret kneeled down and took out the red box.

Everything was perfect. Everything was going as planned. 

Except for one thing.

Nadine didn't say yes.

Bret couldn't believe it. He asked her why. 

I knew all of us hidden there must be feeling the same. This was a very private matter but I couldn't help but hear what they were talking about.

"I'm so sorry, Bret. But I'm not ready... I... I don't think this can work out. I need some space. I'm sorry." Nadine said as she ran back down.

I ran after her. I knew she was hurting, too. I knew she loves Bret.

I caught her just as she was exiting the gates.

"Nadz!" I called.

"Yassi..." She responds, surprised seeing me there. There were tear tracks on her face.

I hugged her. And she broke down.

She told me everything. It seems all of Bret's nagging and excessive planning took a toll on Nadine. She grew weary of Bret always stepping in to fix things for her.