Journey's End

I stared at the boy in the mirror, his brown eyes looking back as tears stained his cheeks. I stood alone in the small restroom as the time is finally here. What baffled me is that I had chance after chance to let it all out, and yet it came crashing back when the day came. I don't care if I'm still emotional, because I can at least hold myself up to a point.

Still... I've done so much here. I've had so many experiences and connections in such a short time. I was also able to change myself with help from this world- in a position that didn't leave me with much of a choice. Putting it aside, it made me realize just how much I changed throughout my life. I didn't think the change was much, but it was.

    All those years ago, the ridicule and my decaying self-image. Both of those destroyed the old me with no possibility of returning. I shied away after that, trusting no one but myself. The forest became my sanctuary since then, the one place where I truly felt safe from the world. In the time that passed, my self-confidence shriveled up into a wilted plant that barely hung on.

    Then the Orbis Tablet came into play and I found the furry world. Ever since I woke up here, my realistic and laid back sides clashed. Both of them tried to overtake the other every chance they got- every thought I had carried that inner battle. One side held realism while the other wanted to take everything lightly.

    In a story, one would relax, but this is real- life or death. Those words hung in my mind this whole time, whispering from the shadows and trying to tear me apart. I held on, however, affirming myself subconsciously and completely unaware of what I was getting myself into. Now it's the end... I've made my choice and everything is said. The only thing left is what needs to be done.

"You alright?", the golden retriever asked as I walked out into the hall.

"Yeah.", I said as I got my bag, "Just needed to clear my head a little."

"It's understandable."

    We didn't talk much after that. Like I said before, everything was said and finished. There's no use stalling it anymore, and that is how it stayed. I didn't look around much since I wouldn't see it for much longer. I did glance at him a few times, seeing his ears flat and his gaze set to the floor. I wanted to hug him, but that would only make it worse.

We eventually made it to an elevator, the tiny space descending to what I could only believe as the last sight of this world. The doors opened to a short hall, different from the others. It was a pale white, a sign to the side with "Authorized Personnel Only" printed on it. A door was a little ways from us, my heart pounding as I knew where it led.

When we walked through it, I saw what could only be seen in Sci-Fi. The area was very large, tables and screens throughout. Various furries in lab coats had clip boards and test tubes in their paws, most likely testing things. My eyes settled upon a teal cloth hanging from the ceiling, a familiar coyote standing beside it. I clutched my bag tightly, my chest burning a bit.

"It's all set up.", he said in that same neutralized voice. The only hint to his distress were his ears. It seems not even he can hide his sadness. I already said my goodbyes to the bears, since they had their priorities. I understood, as they have their own lives to live and so do I.

Behind the cloth was a small area, a few furs looking at boards. In the middle was a mechanical doorway, wires poking out the sides and leading to a console near the front. It extruded itself to about where my neck is, the tablet inbedded into metal with a few small sensors around it. I spotted Joana looking over the machine intently, smiling a little as she spotted me.

"Everything's good on both ends.", she said as she stepped forwards, "I'm glad we could see each other again."

I couldn't help but smirk a little. Even if I only met her once, there was a charm to her personality that I couldn't explain. Sure, she's a major history nerd- and apparently a scientific nerd since she was checking the machine, but I like her. Zion wasn't around, which I did feel a little sad about. We could've been friends if he visited me like Hector did. I guess it's long past that now.

"Ready?"

I don't know who asked it, and I couldn't give a care, to be honest. Just the word echoed in my mind, endlessly repeating itself over and over as if it were hinting at some hidden truth. I doubt it, though. I nodded stiffly and watched as the fox moved to the console and pressed a few symbols on the tablet, the doorway sparking before engulfing itself in light.

It's finally here. The moment that I at first looked forward to with open arms, yet it now fills me with sorrow. I suppose this is to be expected when you're in an unknown place for an extended amount of time. Talks can turn to friendships and friendships to bonds, and bonds can grow stronger to the point of wanting to stay together. I experienced it first hand. I took a breath, the pain in my chest getting close to a level where it could be seen on my face. I looked back at them, seeing them smile sadly. I returned it and made my way towards the light.

I didn't waste time, but it seemed to slow as I closed in on it. That same light that caused all of this..the one that sent me on this adventure. I can't say I have any regrets other than possibly worrying my parents to death. Still, I can't thank any of the furries enough for helping me. Maybe we'll meet again someday, but for now the human's stay in Bovington is over.

Goodbye, everyone.