Chapter 2

Christian's POV

He didn't come. Then again, he never comes. But, why doesn't he? Everyone comes to the big football games. Whether to hang out with friends, make out behind the bleachers, hook up with the football players, or even to watch the game itself, everyone in the school, students and staff, showed up. All except him.

Does he not like football? Or, is he avoiding something? Someone? "Christian! Come on! The game's starting, break's over!" I turned to my teammates, shaking my head and clearing my thoughts. I glanced back at the crowd one last time, then I put on my helmet and jogged back to the group.

I first noticed him when I realized we shared gym class together. His small, pale frame stood out amongst the tall, muscled bodies of the other boys in the class. The way his face flushed red as he ran, his breathing labored. The way his sweat glistened in the sun... I fell in love with the small boy.

Of course, I have no way to go about telling him this. I never see him around campus, save for the two classes we have together. Where does he go? Why? I suppose the answer is quite simple.

Nick.

As a teammate, he's not a bad guy, but as a person, probably not someone I'd associate with. Ever. He's an all around egotistical jerk. And he likes to flaunt it, too. He bullies the weak, and gets​ admired by the popular. Your stereotypical bully.

The game ended and a cheer erupted from the crowd. The score was completely destroyed. We had won. Everyone ran onto the field, congratulating and hanging off the arms of the football team. Some tried to do the same to me, but I managed to keep them away.

As usual, the boy didn't come.

As funny as it might seem, I don't even know his name. I imagined it, soft and sweet, rolling various names around, whispering them at night. None felt right. None seemed to fit him. It was an irritating feeling, to be so in love with him, yet know nothing about him.

I was tempted to ask, but he has no reason to tell me. As far as he's concerned, I'm no one. That thought alone hurt more than I thought it would.

As we showered and changed after the game, the team came over, each member giving me a clap on the back and a congratulatory handshake. "Hey man, nice work," said Nick, holding out his hand. I took it reluctantly, forcing down my opinions. "Yeah... You too." He grinned.

"We're having a party​ tonight, to celebrate the win. Wanna come? There'll be cute girls." I shook my head. "No... I don't think-"

"Oh come one man! You never go and you're the one who got us the win! Right guys?"

A murmur of agreement went up around the locker room, each member nodding his head. I sighed. Sure, girls are nice, but they can be a bit... Well, you know. Clingy. Jealous. Possessive. I don't have anything against them, but I don't want to date anyone besides him at the moment.

"... Fine. I'll go. Just, don't turn this into a mixer, okay? I just want to celebrate the win with you guys." A few guys agreed almost immediately, the rest annoyed at the idea of not hooking up with the promised cute girls.

---

We all walked to the bus loop, Nick's daily visit. I wasn't sure why - I'd never been with him when he came here. Since we're leaving for the party, we just decided to go together. And thus, here I am.

Nick crossed his arms, looking around the bustling crowds. His lips were pursed while he scanned, looking for... Something. I assumed he found what he was looking for, from the way his face brightened and his lips curled in a sneer.

We began to follow Nick, watching as he came up behind a small figure I knew well, pushing the boy to the floor. I gasped, Nick's laugh drowning it out.

"Oops," Snickered Nick. "Didn't see you there. You're so short, after all. Are you even a guy? Aww, is the baby gonna cry?" He continued to tease when the boy said nothing. The boy looked down annoyed, muttering under his breath. "Honestly, I don't even know how Nick got into highschool. His grades are bad, and so is his attitude."

Nick, having heard him, became angry. He grabbed the boy's shirt, pulling him close. "What did you just say about me?" I was slightly jealous at how close Nick was to the boy. They were only inches apart, the boy's feet lifting off the ground​.

He remained unfazed, though, easily crumbling Nick's pride. "Careful there, Nick. Unless you actually want to kiss me."

Nick's face contorted with disgust as he pushed him away. "Gross. I'm not gay like you are. I actually have standards."

"Standards? You mean woman who like to spread their legs for anyone with cash?"

The guys behind me chuckled, enjoying seeing Nick's pride wounded. I did have to admit, despite the fact that he was trembling, he was able to hold his own against Nick. A bit of guilt ran through me. I should help him, but all I can do is watch as he defends himself. "Say that again. I dare you." Nick was really angry at this point, not enjoying the fact that he'd been embarrassed in front of us.

The boy was once again able to deflect Nick's attack. "Nick, you seem awfully interested in me for someone who's not gay. Anything you want to tell us?" By then, the entire team had lost it, Brady and Jonah on the floor laughing. Nick's face flushed red. He shoved the boy to the floor.

"I'm not done with you yet. Watch your back, Jones."

He began to walk away as I realized something. He knows. Nick knows the boy's name. I clenched my fist, leaning down to help the boy. Unfortunately, he had gotten up during my jealous fit, so all I could do to not embarrass myself was pick up his bag, which had fallen near my foot, and hand it to him before running off.

I glanced back only once, looking at his confused expression while he stared at the bag in his hand. He's confused. Why would his bully's friend help him? It made me upset, to be labeled like that, but I knew I deserved it.

That's when I set my resolve. The next time I see him, I'm going to ask for his name.