I Have A Crush On My Best Friend

Nathan and I have been best friends since second grade of 2003. At school, everyone would make fun of me because I had ADHD. Then a new kid came, his name was Nathan. He immediately came up to me on his first day and asked if I could give him a tour of the school and be his friend. I agreed and we have been friends ever since. We go to carnivals, movies, and parties together, and we love to play video games such as Halo II and Call Of Duty. You could say we are like brothers, but that wouldn't be right because well...I'm a girl.

       My name is Hayley Grace Jones and I am 16 years old, turning 17 in a week. I am a bit tomboyish if you consider playing hard core softball and football and winning at arm wrestling contests tomboyish. I've lived in Phoenix, Arizona for 12 years now. Before, I lived in Iowa where my cousins are. My whole life has been a total wreck. It all started when I was 4 years old when my  mom left us. Well, actually we left her. She had left my house and didn't come back for a while. Finally, after 6 months, she came back, but she had another man with her. So my dad and I left to Arizona and have not seen her since. Then when I was six years old, I found out I had ADHD. Life was a train wreck for me and my dad. He had a job, but he needed to quit in order to take care of me. We had to move to a cheaper house because we could no longer pay the bills. My dad found a job and worked part time just to keep us running again.

       Finally when I was 9, I met Nathan. Nathan turned my life rightside up. We began as just acquaintances, until fourth grade. My long-time-no-see friend, Mandy, came to my school and invited everyone to her birthday party. Nathan was there and lonely, so I accompanied him. After that, we became best friends because we had no one else. I was so thankful that day; that I had a friend after all that happened to me! When I needed help on homework, he helped me. When I needed someone to make me smile, he made me laugh. When I was bored out of my mind, he found something fun and active to do. He was always by my side, even when the people in our class would make fun of us because we, a boy and girl, were best friends.

Hayley

Today was horrible. When I heard my teacher Miss Fay call my name, I was mortified.

"Miss Jones, come up to the board and present to the class what the Lex Gabinia is." I just stood there pretending this wasn't happening. I searched through my head looking for what these words, Lex Gabinia, were. Lex Gabinia...that was when the king died, no, it was that city in Italy. Oh I wish I knew...

"Miss Jo-ones, what are you wai-ting fooooor? We don't have all day!"

"Oh, I'm sorry. I-I misplaced my...my, PENCIL! I misplaced my pencil and was looking for it."

"Yeah, you were looking for the pencil in your hand, right? Ha! Ha!" Jake Dural, the guy class favorite, teased while I made my way up to the board.

"That's enough Mr. Dural. Now, Miss Jones, you may start now." my teacher said politely.

"The Lex Gabinia was," I froze. All I could think about was Nathan. He sat there, in the front row, looking at me straight in the eyes. "a city that, that, umm. Uh, was it the city that was in China that had Tribes. Yes! Um, no, nevermind. Oh! It um, it was the law that gave money to sumo wrestlers in Japan!" All of a sudden, the class was out of there chairs laughing their socks off! I felt so embarassed! I immediately ran to my seat, right behind Nathan, bawling my eyes out. Nathan turned around and said it was okay, but it wasn't.

"It's okay Hayley, that was a hard question and you were on the right track with it!"

Overhearing our conversation apart from the laughing, Amanda Greathouse, the girl class favorite, yelled, "On the right track! On the right track? Are you kidding me! She was no where close to the answer!" Well that was nice. Amanda and I have been enemies since the beginning of 4th grade. She has always hated me and wanted to be better thatn me, from sports to school activities.I noticed Nathan's face and saw it was different. It was cherry red and almost steaming. He was done with her always making fun of me.

"WELL YOU KNOW WHAT, AMANDA? YOU'D BETTER JUST SHUT UP OR I'LL GIVE YOU WHAT I'VE HELD IN SINCE 4TH GRADE!!!" Everyone froze. Shocked. Amazed. Astonished. I've never seen him so furious and brave. At that moment, I felt a spark.

"Mr. Parker, go up to the office PRONTO!!! I had better not hear that come out of your mouth EVER AGAIN! That was very rude and unshivalry. Now I'm so sorry this happend, Miss Greathouse. I can assure you, that will never be spoken to you again." Miss Fay absolutely adored Amanda. On the other hand, she hated Nathan and I.

"Does anyone have a correct Identification for the Lex Gabinia?" Jake raised his hand.

"The Lex Gabinia was the law that prevented pirates to invade Rome. They could instead get a small piece of land and money and live off of that."

"Correct like always, Mr. Dural. Class dismissed!"

I hate my class. I hope Nathan's okay. When he stood up to Amanda, I felt something. Something good, warm and beautiful. Love.