Privacy in Dorm Room 210: Distractions for the Mind

Chapter 7:

Distractions for the Mind

Audrey's absence for the next two days sparked immediate concern to Justin as he began his classes down at Building A. He wouldn't lie and say she was on his mind the entire time. He cared about his education, and he knew overthinking things never ended well.

He's excited but he not. It's a muddled relationship he was currently experiencing. 

After class, he made his way to the dorm but was stopped by someone calling his name.

"Hey man," Jer said, catching up to his side. "Didn't think I'd see you again after our first meet. How's it been?"

"Yeah, not bad." Justin would never admit the actual situation to someone he just met. "You heading back to Building E?"

"I just came back after a feed at the cafeteria," Jer said. "Time for classes baby. You started yet?"

"Just finished my first one."

"What is it that you do again?"

"Programming," Justin replied. 

"Respect."

They walked back to Building E together with Jer talking about his first day of school and how overwhelming everything went. Justin could only nod in mild understanding. The only overwhelming thing was his relationship with his roommate. As for school, Justin never really went through any kind of trouble.

"I've been meaning to ask you," Jer said as they both entered Building E. "There's a car meetup next Friday down by the city's river. A bunch of us are rocking up. Thought I'd extend the handout and see if you wanted to come with."

"Why?" 

Jer blinked. "Uh, I thought that..."

"Sorry," Justin interrupted. "That came out wrong. It's just that... I don't really know you, that's all."

"Oh." Jer lightened up quickly. "Nah, man. That's cool. Honestly, Mac and Pricilla have said some awesome stuff about you. Thought maybe this could be an extension of the grapevine, and get the friendship group growing. It's completely up to you."

In terms of friendship groups, Justin was sorely lacking in that department. He hadn't heard back from his mates since his failed call, and he didn't think they'd respond back anytime soon. Plus with the situation between him and Audrey, it was only a matter of time before he needed to spend some quality time outside of his dorm and school.

Justin pretended to analyze the offer longer. "Okay. Sounds good to me."

Jer nodded enthusiastically. "Yeah, that's what I'm talking about. I'll check back with you on the times and whether you need a lift or not."

As they parted ways, Justin felt a bit brighter considering his recent circumstances. His mind reeled back on the conversation. He wonders if he should ask for a lift. He understands cars, enjoys listening to parts of conversations, and can definitely keep up when asked. But it'll be his first car meet. How long do these events last?

He spied Tracey heading back to the administration office, but by the side door. A stack of papers in her arm, food in the other. She noticed him before he had a chance to say anything.

"Wonderful to see you again, Mr McGregor." She sounded anything but enthusiastic. "Is there anything I can do to assist you?"

"I was wondering if you received my email," he said. "Regarding my dorm room transfer."

Tracey took a moment to respond. "I did."

Justin nodded. He waited for another moment to hear further, but Tracey just stood there smiling a little forcefully at him. He couldn't help himself but said, "Well?"

"Well?" she paratted. "Did you need anything else clarified?"

"When am I expected to move?" he asked. 

Tracey frowned. "You mean, when am I expected to hear back a response? At this point, it may be up to a few weeks. Even a month."

A month? A month of enduring his ex-best friend and the past that kept holding them back from moving forward. It sounded torturous from Justin's stance. Perhaps he should've expressed some mild urgency in the email.

He stumbled over the beginning of his sentence, trying to articulate it in a way that wasn't offending. "Could you possibly ask for it to be considered an urgency?"

Tracey softened her fake smile. "Unfortunately, all transfers go through their own system by the H.A.R team. I am afraid I can only help you to a certain point. We have lots of dorm transfers, many of who are on a waiting list. I have done my best in securing you a priority, but it is out of my hands."

There's pain building on the side of his temples.

"Could you..." he cleared his throat. "Could you send them an additional note regarding my situation?"

"Situation?" she echoed. "What may that be?"

Justin explained the situation between him and Aubrey—minus the misfortunate parts that crumbled their friendship into nothing but painful memories—and how each day passed by brought on by another day of stress and loss of focus. 

Tracey didn't respond, nor did she appear as sympathetic as he'd imagined. But by the end of his less-than-subtle description, she nodded and said, "I will see what I can do. Thank you, Justin."

Before she turned to leave, Justin asked, "Are you okay?"

Tracey stilled before masking a smile back on her face. "Perfectly."

"Are you sure?" He stepped forward, concern printed all over his face. A flush was beginning to sprout across her ears. "Usually you're very quick to sarcasm, but I feel as though today you're a bit indifferent towards me. Have I done something?"

The professional mask Tracey was holding on tightly began to slip. In a much quieter voice, she said, "I appreciate your concern, but you have nothing to worry about." She went to open the door with the free fingers she had, her hand trembling as she did.

Justin knew something was off. He immediately caught the door before it closed on her fingers. "Damnit!" she muttered as her food fell. Slices of lettuce, cheese, and pickles came out of the bag. Justin bent to retrieve them as Tracey leaned against the parted door.

She sighed heavily as he passed the brown bag back. "This was supposed to be a quick lunch." She rubbed her eyes with the back of her hand. 

Justin's stomach tightened. He had known Tracey for less than two weeks, but seeing her in her less cheery nature did something to him. 

"I'm sorry," he said, rubbing the back of his neck. 

Tracey shook her head and threw her ruined lunch in the nearby bin. "Is there anything else you need of me?"

He swallowed. "Uh, no—"

"Have a good day." She disappeared before he could say anything more.

Author Note: It's been a minute since I worked on Po210. This story will end up having 14 chapters. It'll be fast-paced from here on out, focusing more on the characters than anything else. Partially doing this because I just want this complete. Another partial because Po210 was never about world-building.

See you all in the next chapter!