Chapter 4

My first visit to Nando's was a success.  We laughed and talked and shared crazy stories.  I discovered relatively quickly that Nando's was Niall's favorite restaurant.  He only said it about ten times after getting his food and starting to eat.  Liam mentioned all the boys are in a band together, but Niall changed the subject pretty quick.  After we ate, we went back to the house and watched some classic films.  A popcorn fight broke out between Harry and Louis.  Liam tried to interfere, but was wrestled to the ground by Zayn.  It was like I had five older brothers and a sister.  They felt like family, and it had only been one day.

Eleanor convinced me to go shopping with them the next day to get to know the area more.  I wake to the sound of my phone ringing.  I sit up quickly in bed and rub my eyes before swiping to answer.

"Hello?" I say, sleep still present in my low tone.

"Hi!" Eleanor's peppy voice says back.  "Did I wake you up?"

"Yeah," I say.  "But it's okay, I should be up by now anyway."  The clock on my nightstand says 10 o'clock.

"Sorry, love," she says kindly.  "I got all the boys out of bed already.  Want me to send Niall to pick you up?"

My heart skips.  "It'll take me about twenty minutes to get ready."

"Oh, he takes much longer than that.  I'll come get you myself."

I chuckle.  "Ok, Eleanor.  See you soon."

"Bye, Em!" she says cheerfully.

I drop my phone into my purse, pull myself into a green dress, and hurry through my morning routine.  On my way down to the lobby, my phone vibrates in my purse.  An unknown number flashes on the screen.  I hesitate, but answer anyway.

An adorable Irish voice speaks back to me, and I have to keep myself steady by grabbing the elevator railing.

"Hello, love," Niall says.  I smile.  "I'm outside your building.  Are you ready?"

"I'm on my way down," I say, trying my best to keep my smile from sinking its way into my voice, but I can hear the smile in Niall's voice when he responds.

"See you soon."

"Bye, Niall," I say quietly, having trouble keeping myself together.  The elevator doors open, and I see him sitting in his black Porsche.  He doesn't notice me as I approach the car.  The windows are open, and I pause to listen.  He's singing.

Kiss me where I lay down

My hands pressed to your cheeks

A long way from the playground...

I knock gently on the window, not meaning to startle him, but unsure if I was hearing something he didn't want me to.  He smiles and leans over to open the door.  I fall into the passenger seat, then turn to face him abruptly.

"I heard you singing.  Your voice is amazing."

He grins.  "Thanks, Em."  Niall starts driving.  "Emma," he says casually, "do you listen to the radio?"

"Not really," I shrug.  "I grew up listening to pop punk music.  Falling in Reverse, Sleeping With Sirens, those kinds of bands.  I never really found a radio station I liked, so I stuck to my MP3."

He glances sideways at me with desperate eyes.  "Have you ever heard of One Direction?"

"I recognize the name," I say with a shrug.  "They're a pop boy band, right?  My friend Emily from Kentucky was obsessed with them."

Niall chuckles.  "Yeah, we're pretty popular.  Tell Emily we say thanks for the support."

My eyes widen as the puzzle pieces fall into place.  "Wait... you... you're in One Direction?"