Chapter 2

Chapter 2

I woke to a loud gunshot from another part of the mall. Alas I was still on the bathroom floor surrounded by shattered glass and my own blood. Suddenely everything came flooding back to me. Thoughts of Danny getting bit and my hands still being tied. Then I remembered. "Lucas!" I said aloud. I looked to my left where he was previosly but he was not there. I started to panic, I looked in all of the stalls but could not find him or his beloved box. I decided to exit the bathroom. It was only then that I remembered why I had woken up. The gunshot. I froze with fear. It was probably just Danny I thought to myself.

I started to make my way towards the food court as that was where I kept an extra handgun, I felt uneasy without it. I was just going by the pretzel stand when I heard it. I heard it behind me. The noise that was oh so famillar. Lucas's sweet laugh. I spun around and saw a most un-expected sight. It was Lucas being held by a black woman with dreadlocks and some sort of sword strapped to her back. Before I could say anything a voice from directly behind me spoke, "You got a weapon on yah?" "Um uh no" I studdered in reply. The voice from behind me walked in front of me. The voice belonged to a tall strong man with large muscles, overgrown hair, stubble and a crossbow. "This yer kid?" The man asked me. "Well he's my nephew" I replied. I was shaking as I hadn't met new people in a very long time. I figured the woman noticed my shaking as she eventually spoke, "Look you don't need to be afraid, we can help you" As she spoke she placed Lucas back in his box and moved closer to me. She then produced a small knife and cut the cables that were keeping my hands tied. I breathed a sigh of relief and rubbed my wrists. "I'm Michonne and this is Daryl" She spoke while gesturing to the man with crossbow. There was an awkward silence until I figured out it was my turn to introduce myself. "Oh um I'm Amanda and that's Lucas" I said confidently. Michonne and Daryl both looked at the box, specifically at the writing of 'BRENT' on it. "Ignore the box" I laughed in an embarrased way. They both smiled. That was when it occured to me. "Danny" I said aloud. "Huh?" Daryl asked looking confused. I suddenly felt fear, I knew if Danny saw these new people he would not hesitate in killing them. "Woah you guys didn't happed to see a huge blonde guy wearing an army uniform?!" I whispered in a scared tone. The pair exchanged glances and then looked back at me. "Look kid im sorry, we found a walker like that at the door, I shot him." replied Daryl. Before I could say anything, Michonne put her hand on my shoulder and said: "I'm sorry for your loss" "Are you kidding he was the one who tortured me! he was the one who tied me up and did this to my face!" I replied feeling relieved that I didn't have to take Danny's shit anymore. "Jesus" uttered Michonne. "I guess your one tough kid" said Daryl while swinging his crossbow over his back. "I guess I am" I smiled but winced as smiling hurt my cheek that was full of glass. "Look...Amanda, we can take you and your kid-" "Nephew" I butted in. "Whatever, we can take you and your nephew back to our camp but we can't guarentee its permanent, you're gonna have to talk to our leader" spoke Daryl in a nice tone. "Yeah sure, cool, I'll go!" I said in a way too exited manor.

After I grabbed mine and Lucas' essesntials we left the mall and climbed into a large Hyundai car with Michonne driving. "So...where is your camp?" I asked curiously. "Just you wait" replied Daryl with a smile.