Chapter 1

Chapter 1

I sat there on the floor of the mall bathroom petrified. My 2 week old Nephew Lucas lying in a box beside me happily. I envyed him being so happy as he didn't know how great the world was before the outbreak. The box Lucas rests in is labeled 'BRENT'. This angers me because that is not his name. It is labelled Brent because that is what my Sister Meghan's boyfriend wanted to call him. Alas with Meghan's very last breath she told me to name him Lucas. So I did. Danny and I get in many arguments over his name. Danny was my sister's boyfriend. I hate him. Danny is an army man, he never takes off his uniform or dog tags.

Danny had left last night at around 7 p.m on a supply run. Which makes no sense as we are living in a mall. I figured he went to look for weapons. Before Danny left he tied my hands with a cable of some sort. Danny does that so I cant leave and find a new group. I long for a new group. He tied my hands in front of me so that I could tend to Lucas if need be. 

At around 2  p.m I heard the side door of the mall open. I knew it was Danny. He emerged into the bathroom with two shotguns and a backpack full of ammo. I noticed he was holding a bloody bandana to his arm. "What up with your arm? Did you fall?" I asked in a relaxed tone so that he wouldnt lash out. "I got bit you idiot!" Danny screamed in reply. Before I could react Danny approached Lucas and I. He crouched down to look at Lucas. "Stay away from Lucas and untie me!" I shouted. Before I had time to compliment my self on how brave I was being, Danny kicked me fullforce in the stomach, I winced in pain. "His name is Brent and I am not going to untie you!" Danny roared in my face. I began to cry. Lucas began to cry. Danny then pulled me up by my ponytail and glared right in my eyes. I could never have been able to brace myself for what he was about to do. Danny then rammed my head into one of the mirrors causing the glass to shatter. I could even feel some glass sink into the right side of my face where Danny had made my face connect with the mirror. Danny then let go of my hair and I fell to the ground where I landed on more glass.

The last thing I remember hearing before I blacked out was the sound of Lucas crying. I hated the thought of him crying and me not tending to him.