Changes

September fell into October. The temperature was dropping and the leaves on the trees were an explosion of colour.

After two months of living together, Draco and Hermione could almost get through a whole week without attempting to hex each other. The insults faded to teasing, losing their cruel edge and almost seeming friendly.

'So what is your mum up to these days?' Hermione asked, as Draco scuttled around the kitchen. 'How does she feel about you living abroad?'

Draco set dinner in front of Hermione, twisting his hands as she picked up a fork. The Sneakoscope lay between them.

'Mmm,' she gave him a thumbs up. 'This is great!'

'Thank Merlin!' Draco let out the breath he'd been holding. 'Well, mother actually moved to the south of France last April.'

'Why?'

'The first couple of years after the War, we were very closely monitored by the aurors. We were basically under house-arrest. Mother hated it. She hated living in the Manor, with all its terrible memories. She hated not being able to travel. She hated everyone judging us. We have a holiday home in France so as soon as we were allowed to move freely, she began making the arrangements.'

'What happened to the Manor?'

'She signed it over to me, in case I want it for my family one day. She wrote to me the other week, she's on a cruise at the moment, exploring the Mediterranean!'

Hermione tried to imagine the haughty Narcissa Malfoy on a sun-lounger by the pool.

'Didn't you want to go with her?'

'I thought about it. I spent a few months out there while I waited for my visa to come through. But...I decided it was time to move out on my own. Cut myself loose from mother's apron-strings, as it were.'

Hermione nodded thoughtfully, serving bowls of ice cream as Draco talked.

'Plus, mother has spent so long being what other people needed her to be. The youngest daughter of the "The noble and most ancient house of Black". The wife of Lucius Malfoy, uniting the two wealthy, pureblood families. This is her chance to learn who "Narcissa" is. She doesn't need me hanging around forcing her back into the "mother" box!'

'That's very...considerate...of you!'

'No need to sound so surprised,' Draco grimaced. 'My turn. Why did you suggest such high stakes for this game?'

'I have no idea!' Hermione pulled a face. 'Moment of idiocy, perhaps? I think I believed you would cave easily and it was my chance to get rid of you. No offence.'

'Eh, none taken.'

'Besides, what's life without a little risk, right?!'

'Granger...do you have a gambling problem?'

'No! Don't be ridiculous. Why were you so sure you'd win?'

'What do I possibly have to hide from you?' Draco shrugged, up to his elbows in soapy dishwater. 'You've literally seen me at my worst in every sense. You've experienced most of it first hand!'

'How do you mean?' Hermione grabbed a towel and starting drying the dishes as Draco passed them to her.

'You've seen me as a cowardly, petty bully...you've worked with me as a power-crazed prefect...your best friend watched me lead an army into Hogwarts to kill Dumbledore...you suffered horrifically at the hand of my aunt in my home...What could I possibly have left to be ashamed of and hide from you?'

Hermione patter Draco's shoulder with a damp hand. She smiled up at him, catching his gaze.

Draco spluttered as Hermione flicked bubbles at him, having slipped her fingers into the water while he was distracted.

'Oh it's on, Granger!'

He wiped a wet hand down her face.

Hermione shrieked, then conjured a funnel of water from the sink. Draco grabbed her as it cascaded down, soaking them both.

Hermione shoved him away, curls plastered to her face. She dodged as he shot balls of water at her. They splattered into droplets on her shield, dripping onto the floor. Bubbles flew out of the sink, settling into Draco's hair.

Soon the sink was empty, and the apartment was as drenched as they were.

'You're completely daft, you know that?' Draco gasped, his sides aching from laughing.

Hermione curtsied, slipping slightly in a puddle of water.